1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for September 2019 for:
- your child to start primary or infant school (Reception year)
- your child to start Year 3 at junior school as they are in Year 2 at infant school (or Year 2 at primary school and you want them to move to start Year 3 at junior school).
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's school place you must read the Information for parents booklet (below) for your area. It provides all the information you need to know about the application and allocation process.
If you are unsure if you live in the northern or southern area of the county, use the admissions map to check.
- Information for parents: Starting at school 2019/20 (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Starting school leaflet (PDF, 112KB)
- Information for parents: Transferring from infant school to junior school 2019/20 (PDF, 889KB)
- Transferring to junior school (PDF, 137KB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can attend
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the three preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
You can apply if your child is due to start school, or transfer to junior school, in September 2019. A link to the online admissions system will be available from 9.00am on Monday 1 October 2018. The deadline for applications is Tuesday 15 January 2019.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to three different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications close on Tuesday 15 January 2019. Information about applying after that date will be available here.
5 Offer dates
If you apply online before the national deadline of Tuesday 15 January 2019, we will email you on Tuesday 16 April 2019. Emails will be sent throughout the day, so we can't give you an exact time.
If you apply on a paper form before Tuesday 15 January 2019, we will send your offer by second class post on Tuesday 16 April 2019.
Any application received between Wednesday 16 January and Friday 15 February 2019 is out of time and your preferences will only be considered after the applications that were received on time. We will send your offer by second class post on Tuesday 16 April 2019.
Any applications received after Saturday 16 February 2019 are late and outside the normal admissions round. They will not be processed until after Wednesday 22 May 2019. You will receive a letter after this date.