This information only applies if you want to apply for your child to start Year 7 at secondary school in September 2020 as they are in Year 6 at a primary or junior school.
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
2 Find your catchment area school
Before applying for your child's secondary school place:
3 Before you apply
You must read the relevant guidance pages below before applying:
- Key dates
- How places are allocated
- Address information (including shared residency)
- Moving house during an allocation round
- Applying for a place under the exceptional and compelling category
- Parental responsibility and parental disputes
- School admission policies
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
Follow our checklist to ensure you have completed all the necessary steps before applying.
- You can apply for up to three different schools. Rank the schools in order of preference - the first school listed should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- Please be realistic with your preferences. If you chose an oversubscribed school, the further away you live the less likely you are to be offered a place.
- Do not include a school that you do not want as a preference as you may be offered this school.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- After the application deadline you cannot change your preferences unless there is a genuine unforeseeable reason for doing so, for example, if a sibling changes school.
5 Apply for a place
You can apply for a secondary school place from 9.00am on Monday 9 September 2019 until Thursday 31 October 2019.
A link will be available from this page when applications open.
6 Offer dates
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email or letter, depending on how you applied. No information will be provided over the phone.
Applications received before 11.59pm on 31 October 2019
If you applied online we will email you the outcome of your application on Monday 2 March 2020. Emails will be sent throughout the day so we can't give you an exact time.
If you applied by paper form you will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Monday 2 March 2020.
Applications received after 11.59pm on 31 October 2019
If your application was received between 1 November 2019 and 29 November 2019 it is out of time, and your preferences will only be considered after all the applications received on time. You will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Monday 2 March 2020.
Applications received after Friday 29 November 2019 are late and outside the normal admissions round. They will not be processed until after 30 March 2020. You will be sent a letter after this date.