4 Third parties
We use a variety of third party functions and applications to enrich and improve our content. While we try to limit the setting of cookies by these applications where possible, some cookies are unavoidable. Where these third party services are used on the website they may also receive the IP address of the device you are using.
West Sussex County Council does not collect (nor allow any third party to collect) personally identifiable information of visitors to our site. We will not:
- associate any data gathered with any personally identifying information
- link or seek to link an IP address with the identity of a computer user.
Below is an outline of third party functionality used across our websites and how to find out more information.
We use Google Analytics (GA), a web analytics service from Google, to help us collect site use statistics. The following cookies related to this service may be set:
|_utma||Used to determine unique visitors to our site and is updated with each pageview.||2 years from set/update|
|_utmb||Used to establish and continue a user session.||30 minutes from set/update|
|_utmc||Used in conjunction with the _utmb cookie to determine whether or not to establish a new session for the user.||Session (deleted when browser is closed)|
|_utmz||Stores the type of referral used by the visitor to reach our site, whether via a direct method, a referring link, a website search, or a campaign such as an advert or email link.||6 months from set/update|
|_ga||Used to distinguish a user as unique.||2 years|
|_gat||Used to throttle request rate.||10 minutes|
|_gid||Used to distinguish users.||24 hours|
Google Analytics uses first party cookies through our website to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour. This information is sent to Google and is used by us to evaluate how our website is being used, and review and improve our sites.
Google Analytics doesn't identify who you are, but does track your movements on our websites.
You can find out more about the cookies Google Analytics sets on its cookie usage page.
Google provide a browser-based tool that you can install and use to opt out of all GA data collection. You can install it from their Google Analytics opt-out page.
We publish summary reports of website data collected through GA on the West Sussex Data Store page.
Our job search functionality is provided by Lumesse and sets a number of session cookies to aid the search and application process.
Citizen Space and Survey Monkey
Twitter and Facebook
Library catalogue (Arena)
- Arena (the library catalogue) use essential cookies which enable features such as wish lists and secure areas. It also uses third party cookies to link to social media services.
- We use a service provided by Booking Bug for some of our appointment booking functionality.
- Some of our pages have audio clips embedded. These are hosted by Soundcloud which sets a number of cookies.
- We embed an apprenticeships search tool within our site which is provided by apprenticeships.org.uk. This may set a number of cookies.
- Most of our web pages feature buttons to allow you to share the content on social media. Using these buttons will take you to the relevant social media website where they may set cookies.