Moving school

Apply for a school place during the school year if you wish to change your child’s school (in-year admission).

1 When you can apply

This information only applies if you want to apply to move your child during the school year. You can apply at any time of the year.

Places cannot be reserved in advance and normally have to be taken up within 10 school days of being offered. If you are moving house you can apply in advance of your move but your child must be able to take up the place within 10 days of the offer.

Be aware that there is no guarantee that a place will be available at your preferred school.

If you want an in-year place to start in September we cannot consider your application until June at the earliest. Please apply from that time as it is not possible for us to hold your details.

You do not need to apply for an in-year admission if your child is:

Before you apply make sure that you read the admissions criteria.

2 Moving to, or within, West Sussex

If you are applying for a school place in West Sussex the application form you need to complete depends on the school you are applying to, as some schools manage their own admissions.

Before applying, find your catchment area school, read the admissions criteria and then learn more about the school/s you are interested in via the schools directory

You should also read the guidance notes below which have more information about the in-year admission process: 

Apply to a school where we manage the admissions

To apply for a place at a community or controlled school where we manage their admissions, complete the online form:

Online application form

Do not use this form if your child is:

If you are not able to apply online: 

Apply to a school where the school manages the admissions

To apply for a place at a school that manages its own admissions: 

Application forms for schools that manage their own admissions can also be obtained direct from the school.

Apply to a combination of schools

If you are applying both to schools where we manage their admissions and schools who manage their own admissions, you will need to complete a WSCC-managed admissions (IYA/WSCCMA) form and as many School-managed admissions (IYA/SMA) forms as required.

Supplementary information forms

Regardless of who manages their admissions, some schools may ask you to complete a supplementary information form as well as an application form.

The form helps schools gather additional information so that they can consider applications correctly against their over-subscription criteria.

The forms are available on the oversubscription criteria 2018/19 page or by contacting the school

3 Applications from service personnel and crown servants

Members of the armed forces and crown servants with automatic right of entry to the UK, who are able to provide evidence of their relocation, may apply for a school place ahead of a move.

An application can be made as soon as confirmation of the relocation is available, with no restriction on how far in advance the application can be made. There is no guarantee that a place will be available at a preferred school; each application will be considered in line with the school's admissions criteria.

Applications from members of the armed forces must be supported by an official letter that declares a relocation date and a unit postal address or quartering area address. It is this address that will be used when considering the application.

For crown servants a United Kingdom address can only be used if there is confirmation of the address the child is returning to.

4 Applying for a place from outside England

If you are living in the UK, but outside England, please apply to a West Sussex school by completing the relevant In-year application form.

If you are living outside the UK, contact Pupil Admissions for advice on whether you are entitled to apply for a place in a West Sussex school.

5 Moving out of West Sussex

If you are moving out of West Sussex you will need to apply direct via the new local authority for the area you are moving to, and in some cases direct to the school.

You can find out who your local authority will be on GOV.UK.

Last updated:
11 July 2019

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.