Moving house during an allocation round

Guidance if you are moving house during an allocation round or after places have been allocated.

School places will be prioritised and offered for your child based on the address held by the Pupil Admissions Team and the assumption that your child will still be living at this address at the beginning of the new school year in September.

Moving within West Sussex during an allocation

If you are moving house between the start of the application process and the allocation date, you must send confirmation of your move to the Pupil Admissions Team by the following dates:

Any change of address received will be processed in accordance with our published arrangements and this may mean it cannot be used until after the allocation date in some instances. In these circumstances your previous address will be used for allocation but your new address will be used for correspondence and waiting lists after allocation.

You must send us one of the following as confirmation of your new address:

  • confirmation of exchange of contracts for a purchase
  • signed tenancy agreement for a rental.

Memorandum of sale and confirmation of deposit being paid are not considered sufficient.

If you wish to discuss alternative acceptable confirmation you should contact the Pupil Admissions Team for guidance. 

Moving within West Sussex after school places have been allocated

If you are moving within West Sussex after school places have been allocated and before the start of the new school year in September, you will need to submit a new application to change your child's preferences and your new address.

Where availability allows, we will offer the preferred school and the place previously offered will be withdrawn.

Last updated:
24 October 2023
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.