1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for September 2018 for:
- your child to start primary or infant school (Reception year)
- your child to start Year 3 at junior school as they are in Year 2 at infant school (or Year 2 at primary school and you want them to move to start Year 3 at junior school).
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's school place you must read the Information for parents booklet (below) for your area. It provides all the information you need to know about the application and allocation process.
If you are unsure if you live in the northern or southern area of the county, use the admissions map to check.
- Information for parents: Starting school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Information for parents: Transferring from infant school to junior school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 914KB)
- Starting school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Transferring to junior school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can attend
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
Applications closed on Monday 15 January 2018. If you have not yet applied for a starting school or junior school place, find out what to do when applying after the closing date.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to three different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications closed on Monday 15 January 2018. To apply after this date, you will need to complete an application form using the link below.
Applying after the closing date means your preferences will be considered after all the preferences received on time have been allocated.Apply for a late application for starting school
Do not use this form if you want to move your child in a different year group or at another point in the year. In this instance you need to apply to move schools.
5 Offer dates
Your application will have been on time if it was received by us before 15 January 2018.
If you applied online, we will email you on Monday 16 April 2018. Emails will be sent throughout the day, so we can't give you an exact time.
If you applied by post, you will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Monday 16 April 2018. We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If your application was received between 15 January 2018 and 15 February 2018, it is out of time and your preferences will only be considered after all the applications received on time. You will be sent a letter with the outcome on Monday 16 April 2018.
Applications received after 16 February 2018 are late and are outside the normal admissions round. They will not be processed until after 15 May 2018. You will be sent a letter after this date.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer, you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.
6 Primary, infant, junior school leaflets (other languages)
Starting school leaflets
Leaflets about the starting school process are available in Polish and Portuguese. If you require information in another language contact Pupil Admissions.