1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for September for:
- your child to start primary or infant school (reception year)
- your child to start year 3 at junior school as they are in year 2 at infant school (or year 2 at primary school and you want them to move to start year 3 at junior school).
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's school place, you must read the Information for parents booklet for your area which gives you all the information you need about the application and allocation process.
If you are unsure if you live in the northern or southern area of the county you can use the admissions map to check.
- Information for parents: Starting at school 2017/18 (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Starting school in September 2017 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Information for parents: Transferring from infant school to junior school 2017/18 (PDF, 887KB)
- Transferring to junior school in September 2017 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can go to
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
Applications closed on Sunday 15 January 2017. If you have not yet applied for a starting school or junior school place, find out what to do when applying after the closing date.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to 3 different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all 3 preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- Children who attend a nursery or pre-school associated with or in a West Sussex school are not automatically guaranteed a place at that school. You must apply for your preferred schools using the application process and not directly to the schools.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process please read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
- Once you have submitted your online application you will receive an automatic email acknowledgement.
Unable to apply online?
If you do not have access to the internet, you can still apply online using a computer in your local library for free.
If you are unable to apply online you can request a form:
- Phone 033 301 42903
If you choose to apply by post it is your responsibility to make sure it is submitted before the application deadline.
Forms need to be sent by recorded delivery. We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence. We will not acknowledge that we have received your form.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications closed on Sunday 15 January 2017 and the allocation date was Tuesday 18 April 2017.
To apply after this date you will need to complete an application form below, or contact us for a late application form on 033 301 42903.
Do not use this form if you want to move your child in a different year group or at another point in the year. You need to apply to move schools.Late application for starting school form
These applications will not be looked at until after Monday 22 May 2017. Parents will be contacted as soon as possible after that date.
We suggest forms sent by post are sent by recorded delivery. We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence.
We will not acknowledge that we have received your form.
5 Offer dates
Parents who applied online were emailed an offer on Tuesday 18 April 2017.
Parents who applied by post were sent an offer by second class post on Tuesday 18 April 2017.
We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If you have not heard from us, contact Pupil Admissions.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer, you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.
6 Primary, infant, junior school leaflet (other languages)
Starting school leaflets
These leaflets explain what you need to do if your child is starting school in 2017.
- Starting school in September leaflet - Bengali (PDF, 302KB)
- Starting school in September leaflet - French (PDF, 73KB)
- Starting school in September leaflet - Polish (PDF, 118KB)
- Starting school in September leaflet - Portuguese (PDF, 74KB)
- Starting school in September leaflet - Russian (PDF, 172KB)
- Starting school in September leaflet - Tamil (PDF, 117KB)
Moving to junior school leaflets
These leaflets explain what you need to do if your child is moving to junior school in 2017.
- Junior school transfer leaflet - Bengali (PDF, 600KB)
- Junior school transfer leaflet - French (PDF, 74KB)
- Junior school transfer leaflet - Polish (PDF, 102KB)
- Junior school transfer leaflet - Portuguese (PDF, 75KB)
- Junior school transfer leaflet - Russian (PDF, 161KB)
- Junior school transfer leaflet - Tamil (PDF, 102KB)