1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for September 2018 for:
- your child to start primary or infant school (Reception year)
- your child to start Year 3 at junior school as they are in Year 2 at infant school (or Year 2 at primary school and you want them to move to start Year 3 at junior school).
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's school place you must read the Information for parents booklet (below) for your area. It provides all the information you need to know about the application and allocation process.
If you are unsure if you live in the northern or southern area of the county, use the admissions map to check.
- Information for parents: Starting school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Information for parents: Transferring from infant school to junior school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 914KB)
- Starting school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Transferring to junior school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 1.1MB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can attend
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
You can now apply if your child is due to start school or transfer to junior school in September 2018. The deadline for applications is Monday 15 January 2018.
Once you have submitted your online application you will receive an automatic email acknowledgement.Apply to start school or transfer to junior school (external link)
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to 3 different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all 3 preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
Unable to apply online?
If you do not have access to the internet, you can apply online using a computer in your local library for free.
If you are unable to apply online you can request a form:
- Phone 033 301 42903
If you choose to apply by post it is your responsibility to ensure it is submitted before the application deadline.
Forms need to be sent by recorded delivery. We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence.
We do not send acknowledgments for forms received.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications close on Monday 15 January 2018. Information about applying will be available here after that date.
5 Offer dates
If you apply online we will email you on Monday 16 April 2018. Emails will be sent throughout the day so we can't give you an exact time.
If you apply by post we will send your offer by second class post on Monday 16 April 2018.
We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If you have not heard from us, contact Pupil Admissions.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer, you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.
6 Primary, infant, junior school leaflets (other languages)
Starting school leaflets
Leaflets about the starting school process are available in Polish and Portuguese. If you require information in another language contact Pupil Admissions.