(Position at July 2019)
West of Horsham and south of Broadbridge Heath village has seen a large expansion of housing since 2010, with further housing currently under construction adjacent to Newbridge roundabout.
Part of the planning approval of the housing included the developer providing funding for changes to the roundabout at Newbridge (A281/Billingshurst Road junction) and the A24 Farthings Hill roundabout.
The route was formerly the A264 (now diverted onto a new east-west link west of the Horsham development area and a new A24 roundabout) and part of the planning approval includes downgrading the old A264 Broadbridge Heath bypass; this will be known as the C622. For further planning history please email email@example.com.
West Sussex County Council (WSCC) is responsible for the design and delivery of the three parts of the Broadbridge Heath major highways improvements, which consist of:
- alterations to the Newbridge roundabout to restrict access into Broadbridge Heath village from the A281
- re-routing the Billingshurst Road along a new connector road to link it with a narrowed C622
- new shared footways/cycleways and improved crossing facilities at Newbridge roundabout
- a new off-road shared route linking Newbridge roundabout along the wide grass verge to the Tesco roundabout
- a new off-road shared route linking Tesco roundabout to A24 Farthings Hill, which will convert lane one of the existing dual carriageway to a raised footway/cycleway
- changes to lane markings on the dual carriageway link between the A24 Farthings Hill junction and the Tesco roundabout
- cycle and footway improvements to A24 Farthings Hill roundabout, including:
- the introduction of traffic signal 'toucan' crossings
- raised south bridge parapet (for cycle route upgrade)
- widened footways
- minor alterations to entries and exits to the Hendy showroom and Shell petrol station.
The schemes, along with other local developments (Countryside Properties New Neighbourhood Centre, currently under construction), will help to improve access for residents, walking and cycling between the junctions and shopping and retail areas.
It will help to manage through traffic movement on the main routes A264, A281 and A24, which currently use the old bypass through the downgrading and closures (except for buses and taxis) on the C622, and redirecting this to the new A264 east-west link. This will help reduce traffic-related noise to properties adjoining the old bypass and reduce traffic through Broadbridge village.
This was completed as part of the developer's planning application/permission.
WSCC has informed Horsham District Council and Broadbridge Heath Parish Council on options at both junction improvements. The new off-road pedestrian/cycle path was added following discussions with the West Sussex Cycle Forum.
Start of works
WSCC have appointed Jackson Civil Engineering to build the highway improvements and works started on 7 May 2019, including the road closure of the C622 (Old Broadbridge Bypass, A281) and part of Billingshurst Road between Shelley Drive and Newbridge Roundabout, with bus access only.
A leaflet has been sent out to advise residents and businesses of the works and large message signs with the closure were erected in advance of the closure.
WSCC and Jackson Civil Engineering will keep the website and parish magazine updated with key dates, activities and events (such as any night time closures). The mobile signs will continue to be used if deemed necessary.
We realise that works of this nature can be inconvenient for local residents and would ask for your understanding and patience whist we complete this project. If you have any queries or concerns contact Carole Jones of Jackson Civil Engineering.
Jackson Civil Engineering have been concentrating on the widening of the inner island of the Farthings Hill Roundabout and the narrowing works on the C622 for the new footway/cycleway from Newbridge Roundabout to the new Neighbourhood Centre.
Works on the connector road at Newbridge will be starting in early July and also the removal of lane one (nearside lane) between Wickhurst Lane Roundabout (Tesco) and Farthings Hill for the new footway/cycleway. A closure of lane two of the Southern Bridge at Farthings Hill to allow works on the bridge deck will be installed during July.
There will be changes to the traffic management layout at Newbridge Roundabout with the bus gate remaining but becoming 'unmanned' following continued abuse of staff and hazardous driving endangering our contractor and pedestrians. We will monitor the effects of this and may introduce CCTV if there is significant abuse of the closure.
The scheme is on target for Autumn 2019 completion.