The maintenance of our roads, footways and highway infrastructure elements, such as bridges and traffic signals, is predominantly funded by:
- the government via local highway maintenance block funding (capital funding)
- West Sussex County Council (WSCC) resources (revenue funding or capital borrowing).
Local highways maintenance and integrated transport funding
The Department for Transport's allocation to WSCC for 2022/23 is £20,899,000.
Our planned maintenance programme delivers schemes prioritised on condition and asset management criteria. It takes account of the available funding and the relative need across all our roads and highway infrastructure assets.
It is informed by the Integrated Forward Works Programme and identified in the Annual Delivery Programme that brings together funding streams from Highway Maintenance and Transport Improvement Grants, supported by other external contributions such as development section 106 funding and WSCC corporate capital funding.
To find out when a specific scheme has been scheduled for delivery visit our roadworks and projects page.
The value of the capital funding that supports the delivery of this programme is £34.46m consisting of the following elements:
- Integrated Transport Block - £3,763,000
- Highways Maintenance Block needs element - £7,616,000
- Highways Maintenance Block incentive element - £1,904,000
- Pothole Action Fund - £7,616,000
Further information on the programme for 2022/23 including the decision report and appendix is available on our decision details page.
- To find out where work is happening in your local area visit our roadworks information page, which will show a variety of works undertaken by WSCC and third parties such as utility companies. Type the name of your road or town into the search field and amend the date range to widen the search parameters.
- For regular updates follow us on our West Sussex Highways Twitter page.
Yellow noticeboards located in streets where work is due to take place will tell you the exact date work is due to start. All dates are subject to change due to weather conditions and to allow our contractors the flexibility to respond to any unforeseen circumstances.
Please get in touch if you wish to make an enquiry about a road or pavement.