(Position at April 2021)
West of Horsham, south of Broadbridge Heath village, has seen a large expansion of housing since 2010.
Part of the planning approval of the housing included the developer providing funding for changes to the roundabout at A24 Robin Hood junction. This formed part of a formal planning agreement.
The junction is impacted by traffic congestion in the morning and evening peak hours. This will continue to increase as the development areas are built, and with the general increase in background traffic. West Sussex County Council (WSCC) appreciates that currently, with the COVID-19 restrictions, traffic flows have been artificially suppressed, but in the longer term they will increase again.
WSCC is responsible for the design and delivery of the junction improvement, which consists of:
- widening of the A24 in the southbound direction from two lanes to four lanes
- widening of the A24 in the northbound direction from two lanes to three lanes
- widening of the exit from Warnham Road on to the roundabout
- traffic signal control on the A24 approaches and on the Warnham Road, with traffic signal control on the roundabout
- provision of a signalised 'Toucan' crossing across the Northbound exit of the A24 (towards A24 Great Daux)
- improved footway and cycleway connection Warnham Road to Robin Hood Lane and the Public Right of Way.
The scheme will provide benefits through:
- providing increased road capacity at the junction to allow for increased traffic due to local developments and through traffic
- the provision of traffic lights with sensors, which adjust signal timings according to queuing levels to help ease congestion, on signalled approaches (not Robin Hood Lane) will help manage flows in the peak and off-peak periods
- new crossing facilities for pedestrians and cyclists linking Warnham Park and the Public Right of Way with Warnham Road via new Toucan crossings.
This was completed as part of the developer's planning application/permission during 2009 and 2010.
This web page will be updated as milestones are reached and then, once construction works begin, weekly or fortnightly, depending on work progress. Advance notices of the start of works will be displayed around the junction and traffic management restrictions will also be published.
Local residents and businesses will be able to sign up to a weekly email update from the contractor, by providing their email address, and regular updates will be posted on this page. Please use the Landbuild address firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest.
Find more information about the Land North of Horsham development, or contact the Community Liaison Team directly by emailing email@example.com. We are aware of their works on the A264 for vegetation clearance and Rusper Road south for a new traffic island and pedestrian crossing point.
Southern Water and Clancy Ltd are also currently undertaking works at A24 Robin Hood and along the Daux Path for a new sewer. For further information, contact Steve Anthony, Customer Service Manager, at Clancy Docwra by phoning 07926 535414 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clancy have completed their drilling under the A24 Robin Hood roundabout and are now working, under traffic lights, along Warnham Road and drilling under Robin Hood Lane towards Daux Hill.
Landbuild Ltd completed their works as programmed at the end of November 2020 for the advanced vegetation clearance and drainage investigations/remedials at the junction. Utility investigations have also been completed.
An additional landscape and plants plan have been added (see below), which indicates the landscape mitigation that will be included in the scheme. Bat boxes were also provided as part of the advanced works to replace potential roosts lost due to the clearance works.
WSCC Major Projects team is in liaison with our colleagues in Highways Development Control and Streetworks, along with the Legal and General team working on the A264 and Rusper Road, to examine the co-ordination of construction, traffic management and any necessary closures and diversion works. These meetings have now taken place and regular update meetings have been agreed.
16 April 2021
Traffic is now operating under narrow lanes and flowing well on the A24. We acknowledge that there has been some occasional queuing on the Warnham Road approaching the roundabout and thank you for your patience.
Works completed this week (12-16 April)
- Relocation of street lighting on all four corners.
North West corner
- Street lighting and signal duct installation.
- Commencement of new cycle path construction.
South West corner
- Surface water drainage, manholes and pipes.
- Commencement of excavation for new lane.
North East corner
- Backfill of redundant ditch line.
- Commencement of excavation for new lanes.
South East corner
- Trial holes for high voltage cable level location.
- Street lighting duct installation.
- Commencement of excavation of lane widening.
Works to take place next week (19-23 April)
- Excavation and construction of new lanes to continue on three corners.
- Excavation of street lighting and signal ducts to continue all sides.
- Surface water drainage to south west corner to continue.
- Cycle path construction on north west corner to continue.