Temporary road closures

Apply to close a road temporarily for planned work or events.

Street parties, fetes and community events

The local district or borough council deals with applications for road closures for street parties, processions, parades or similar community events.

Roadworks and larger public events

A temporary Traffic Regulation Order is required to temporarily close roads for:

  • planned roadworks
  • building works being carried out on or near the road
  • larger public events, such as sporting events.

To allow the necessary legal processes, press advertisements and consultation, the following notice periods and charges apply:

  • Short-term road closures for planned works lasting up to 5 days: 8 weeks' notice is required and charged at £511.10.
  • Longer-term road closures for planned works lasting more than 5 days: 3 months' notice is required and charged at £2,561.50.

For more information see Applying for a temporary TRO.

The police can also close roads for safety reasons and deal with arrangements for demonstrations.

Planned closures

View and search a list of the latest roadworks, with details such as start and end dates, who is doing the work and how to contact them.

Emergency road closures

Short-term road closures due to emergencies, such as repairs to a burst water main or gas leak, are charged at £511.10.

Last updated:
4 June 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.