Tables and chairs licence

Apply for a licence to place tables and chairs on the pavement, verge or road.

1 Overview

A licence is required from West Sussex County Council to place tables and chairs on the pavement, verge or road.

Refer to your local district or borough council in the first instance, as planning permission may be required.

2 Horsham town centre

The exception is if the tables and chairs are to be placed in Horsham town centre.

Horsham District Council issues these licences and has a different charging system. 

Tables and chairs licence in Horsham (external link)

3 Apply

To apply for a licence complete the following application form. Refer to the terms and conditions for further details.

Tables and chairs application form

4 What next?

We will review your application, and assess the location to ensure that the tables and chairs will not cause an obstruction or safety issue.

If approved, we will email your licence to you. It will contain the terms and conditions of use.

5 Pay the fee

You will be contacted and asked to make payment online. 


Placing tables and chairs on the highway:

  • Initial (first) year: £412
  • Subsequent two years: £200
Last updated:
3 May 2018

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • (optional)

    West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.