Hoardings or site fences licence

Request a licence to erect hoardings or fences on the roadside.

1 Overview

Hoardings or site fences are required to separate a building from the highway while any type of building works are being undertaken. This does not apply to private gated roads with no public right of way. Private roads that are not gated, where the public have a right of way to use them, will still require a licence.

A licence is required to erect hoardings or site fences on the public highway, for which a fee is payable.

West Sussex County Council (WSCC) charges £35.00 per square metre for hoardings. The initial period is for up to six weeks and extension periods will be granted in eight-week intervals.

In your application, you must provide the square meterage that your hoarding will cover. This will be inspected and checked after the hoarding has been erected.

We require a minimum of five working days' advance notice from the date of application to the date the hoarding will be erected.

All hoarding contractors are required to inform WSCC as soon as the hoarding is removed or if the hoarding licence requires extending beyond the original proposed end date. The extension request must be made before the proposed end date.

If the hoarding licence reaches the end date and WSCC has not been informed of the status of the site, a WSCC inspector will visit the site to establish its status. If the hoarding is still in place on site, this will result in a fine being issued.

Last updated:
4 April 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.