Mobile cranes and tower cranes licence

Apply for a permit to place a crane on, or sail over, a highway.

1 Overview

A crane permit or licence is required by any contractor intending to place a mobile or tower crane on, lift from, and/or oversail the public highway.

No work may commence on the public highway without an authorised permit and/or licence.

The cost of an initial crane/oversail licence is £451 for a period of up to four weeks. Extension periods will be granted in four week intervals at a charge of £213.

2 Health and safety

The duties and responsibility in law rests primarily with the principal or main contractor and sub-contractors on site to ensure the management of health and safety on site, the safety of the public and compliance legislation.

Any required traffic management must be erected as per the Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8, both on the footway and highway.

Risk assessments, safe working instructions or safety method statements must be made available on site if requested by a representative of the Highway Authority.

User qualifications and records of thorough examination and inspection must be made available electronically.

3 Apply for a permit and/or licence

Complete the online application form at least 7 working days in advance (6 weeks in advance if a road closure is required) and return with a copy of your public liability insurance to the value of £10 million.

Please phone 01243 642105 regarding applying for a licence or email

A permit and/or a licence will not be issued until all the relevant documentation has been received and reviewed. Additional information may be requested following the review of the documents received with the application.

4 Apply for roadspace

If the crane operation at any time, from unloading to being transported away on completion of the project, will cause an obstruction of the public highway (including footway, footpath or bridleway), road space may also need to be agreed and must be booked with the Streetworks team in advance.   

5 Accidents, incidents and reporting danger

The permit holder must report any accident, incident or near miss involving the use of the crane, especially involving members of the public, to our health and safety team, in addition to any statutory reporting requirement.

Last updated:
1 April 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.