Dropped kerbs (or vehicle crossovers) for driveways licence

Request permission for a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) across your footway or verge.

1 Overview

A dropped kerb (or vehicle crossover) is the dipped or lowered kerb that allows you to access your driveway from the road by driving across the pavement.

  • The non-refundable vehicle crossover (VCO) assessment fee is £200.
  • The cost of the vehicle crossover construction licence is £287.
  • A copy of a vehicle crossover (VCO) licence is £65.00.

A licence is required to create a dropped kerb or widen an existing one in front of your drive or hardstanding.

It is an offence to drive across a footway to access your property without a legally constructed dropped kerb. This is because it may cause damage to the footway or the services (gas, electric and water) underneath.

Before construction of the dropped kerb can start the following steps need to be followed:

  • Check to see if you need planning permission from your local district/borough council.
  • Seek approval from us. If approved, the approval is valid for six months.
  • Choose a contractor - we recommend you get at least three written quotes.
  • Your chosen contractor should then apply to us for a licence to construct the dropped kerb.
  • The contractor will notify us when the work will start.
  • Construction starts and a highway officer will inspect the construction during and after completion.

Supporting document

Last updated:
13 May 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.