Directional developer signs licence

Apply for a DDS (directional developer signs) licence.

1 Overview

Before erecting directional developer signs on the public highway or private street, it is the sign company's responsibility to obtain a directional developer sign (DDS) licence. This does not apply to roads that are not maintained by West Sussex County Council (WSCC) - for example, the A27, which is the responsibility of National Highways. You must make contact with the relevant authority and gain approval before erecting any signage.

You must also obtain permission from Enerveo before you attach any signs to their street furniture, such as lamp columns, to comply with the traffic signs regulation and general directions 2016.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, WSCC will only allow a maximum of ten signs per development.

We require a minimum of five working days' advance notice from the date of application to the date the signs will be erected.

The cost of a DDS licence is currently £730 for up to six signs and £146 for each additional sign, up to a maximum of ten.

The licence duration is up to one calendar year. You are able to apply for longer periods if required. Any extension period is also for up to one calendar year.

2 Apply for a licence

Please phone 01243 642105 regarding applying for a licence or email

Last updated:
2 April 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.