1 Before you apply
Before applying for your child's secondary school place, you must read the Information for parents booklet which gives you all the information you need about the application and allocation process.
- Information for parents: Admission to secondary school 2017/18 (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Transferring to secondary school in September 2017 leaflet (PDF, 303KB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can go to
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
Applications closed on Monday 31 October 2016. If you have not yet applied for a secondary school place, find out how to apply after the closing date.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to 3 different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all 3 preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process please read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications closed on Monday 31 October 2016 and the allocation date was Wednesday 1 March 2017.
To apply now you will need to complete an application form which is only available by phoning us on 033 301 42903.
These applications will not be looked at until after Wednesday 29 March 2017. Parents will be contacted as soon as possible after that date.
We suggest forms are sent by recorded delivery. We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence. We will not acknowledge that we have received your form.
5 Offer dates
Parents who applied online were emailed an offer on Wednesday 1 March 2017.
Parents who applied by post were sent an offer by second class post on Wednesday 1 March 2017.
We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If you have not heard from us contact Pupil Admissions.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.
6 Secondary school leaflet (other languages)
This leaflet explains what you need to do if your child is transferring from a junior or primary school to a secondary school.