1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for your child to start Year 7 at secondary school in September 2019 as they are in Year 6 at a primary or junior school.
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's secondary school place, you must read the Information for parents booklet which gives you all the information you need about the application and allocation process.
- Information for parents: Admission to secondary school September 2019 (PDF, 2.7MB)
Important correction to the Information for parents: Admission to secondary school, September 2019 booklet - The Published Admission Number (PAN) for Chichester Free School was incorrectly noted on page 19 of the booklet as 90 children. The PAN for the school is 60 children. The booklet has now been amended. The PAN has always been correct in the school’s literature and on their website.
- Transferring to secondary school September 2019 leaflet (PDF, 138KB)
Further information about applying for Bohunt School, Horsham for 2019 is below:
Further information about the allocation of places at Steyning Grammar School is below:
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can go to
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the three preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
Applications closed on Wednesday 31 October 2018. If you have not yet applied for a secondary place, find out what to do when applying after the closing date.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to three different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference - the first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process please read the Information for parents booklet for advice.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications closed on Wednesday 31 October 2018. To apply after this date you will need to complete a late application form below.Late application for a secondary school place
Do not use this form if you want to move your child in a different year group or at another point in the year. You need to apply to move schools. If you cannot use this form, phone us on 033 301 42903 for a paper application form.
We suggest paper forms are sent by recorded delivery. We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence. We will not acknowledge that we have received your paper form.
If you wish to apply to Davison CofE (Controlled) High School for Girls on denominational grounds, please print and complete this form (instructions of where to send it are included on the form):
- Application form to Davison CofE (Controlled) High School for Girls on denominational grounds (PDF, 129KB)
Applying after the closing date means that your preferences will be considered after all the preferences received on time have been allocated.
5 Offer dates
If your application was received before 31 October 2018 it was on time. If you applied online we will email you on Friday 1 March 2019. Emails will be sent throughout the day so we can't give you an exact time. If you applied by post, you will be sent a letter with the outcome by second class post on Friday 1 March 2019.
We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If your application was received between 1 November 2018 and 30 November 2018, it is out of time and your preferences will only be considered after all the applications received on time. You will be sent a letter with the outcome on 1 March 2019.
Applications received after Friday 1 December 2018 are late and are outside the normal admissions round. They will not be processed until after 29 March 2019. You will be sent a letter after this date.