1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for your child to start Year 7 at secondary school in September 2018 as they are in Year 6 at a primary or junior school.
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's secondary school place, you must read the Information for parents booklet which gives you all the information you need about the application and allocation process.
- Information for parents: Admission to secondary school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Transferring to secondary school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 921KB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can go to
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the three preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
Applications closed on Tuesday 31 October 2017.
If you have not yet applied for a secondary school place, find out how to apply after the closing date.
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to three different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference - the first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all three preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process please read the Information for parents booklet for advice.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications closed on Tuesday 31 October 2017. To apply after this date, you will need to complete an application form using the link below.
Applying after the closing date means your preferences will be considered after all the preferences received on time have been allocated.Online application form
Do not use this form if you want to move your child in a different year group or at another point in the year. In this instance you need to apply to move schools.
5 Offer dates
Applications should have been received by us before 31 October 2017.
If you applied online, you would have received an email on Thursday 1 March 2018. Emails were sent throughout the day.
If you applied by post, you would have received a letter with the outcome by second class post on Thursday 1 March 2018.
If your application was received between 1 November 2017 and 30 November 2017, your application was unfortunately out of time and your preferences would only have been considered after the applications that were received on time. You should have received a letter with the outcome on 1 March 2018.
Any applications that were received after Friday 1 December 2017 were late and outside the normal admissions round. They would not have been processed until after 29 March 2018. You will have received a letter after this date.
If you have not heard from us contact Pupil Admissions.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.