1 Before you apply
This information only applies if you want to apply for your child to start year 7 at secondary school in September 2018 as they are in year 6 at a primary or junior school.
If your child needs a school place in a different year group or at another point in the year, you need to apply to move schools.
Before applying for your child's secondary school place, you must read the Information for parents booklet which gives you all the information you need about the application and allocation process.
- Information for parents: Admission to secondary school 2018/19 booklet (PDF, 2.7MB)
- Transferring to secondary school in September 2018 leaflet (PDF, 921KB)
You can find out about a school by:
- visiting schools - most have open days you can go to
- reading the school's Ofsted reports
- checking school league tables - these includes exam results.
It is the responsibility of parents or carers to apply for a school place. You do not need to have a letter from the County Council.
2 Find your catchment area school
Use our map to find your catchment school.Find your catchment area school
If you want your child to be considered for a place at their catchment school you must include this as one of the 3 preferences on your application.
3 Apply for a place
You can now apply if your child is due to start secondary school in September 2018.
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 31 October 2017.Apply for a secondary school place (external link)
Important things to remember when applying
- You can apply for up to 3 different schools. You must rank the schools in order of preference. The first school should be the one you would most like your child to go to.
- We advise that you use all 3 preferences and enter your catchment school as one of your preferences.
- If you apply after the closing date you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
- If you are moving house during the application process please read the Information for Parents booklet for advice.
- Once you have submitted your online application you will receive an automatic email acknowledgement.
Unable to apply online?
If you do not have access to the internet, you can still apply online using a computer in your local library for free.
If you are unable to apply online you can request a form by phoning 033 301 42903. If you choose to apply by post it is your responsibility to make sure it is submitted before the application deadline. Forms need to be sent by recorded delivery.
We are not responsible for forms lost in the post and no missing forms can be investigated without evidence. We will not acknowledge that we have received your form.
4 Applying after the closing date
Applications close on Tuesday 31 October 2017. Information about applying will be available here after that date.
5 Offer dates
If you apply online we will email you on Thursday 1 March 2018. Emails will be sent throughout the day so we can't give you an exact time.
If you apply by post we will send your offer by second class post on Thursday 1 March 2018.
We are unable to give out information over the phone.
If you have not heard from us contact Pupil Admissions.
What happens next
If you are happy with the school place offer you do not need to do anything else.
If you are not happy with the offer, find out how to appeal and join a waiting list for a school place.
6 Secondary school leaflet (other languages)
This leaflet explains what you need to do if your child is transferring from a junior or primary school to a secondary school.
The leaflets for 2018/19 will be available shortly.
- Secondary school leaflet - Bengali (PDF, 540KB)
- Secondary school leaflet - French (PDF, 36KB)
- Secondary school leaflet - Polish (PDF, 87KB)
- Secondary school leaflet - Portuguese (PDF, 55KB)
- Secondary school leaflet - Russian (PDF, 83KB)
- Secondary school leaflet - Tamil (PDF, 99KB)