Report an emergency with a road or pavement

Notify us of a road or pavement emergency quickly.

You can report an emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If the issue is an emergency and presentsĀ an immediate risk to public safety, phone: 01243 642105.

Your call will be answered by our Highways Customer Service Centre team between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

Outside of these hours, your call will be transferred to our out-of-hours service.

The Highways Customer Service Centre Team and the out-of-hours service will, where appropriate, arrange for the Highways team to attend the emergency within two hours of reporting.

Types of emergencies

Emergencies might include something that causes an obstruction or makes part of, or the entire road or pavement impassable, causing a significant risk to the public, for example:

  • potholes
  • road or footway collapse (sinkhole)
  • landslide
  • private or highway structure collapse (bridge, wall, fence, scaffold, hoarding)
  • street furniture collapse (road signs)
  • road traffic accidents resulting in debris, or spillages on the highway, such as:
    • diesel or oil
    • toxic or hazardous materials
    • oil or paint
  • large dead animals causing obstruction to the road (cattle, deer, horse)
  • fallen tree, branch or lamp column
  • missing or badly damaged manhole/gully covers (report minor damage online)
  • unlit skips on the road during hours of darkness
  • traffic signals (temporary or permanent) that are not working
  • exposed electrical wires, such as a cover missing from a street light
  • extensive flooding resulting in a road being impassable or if the flood presents a high risk of damage to property or public.

Burst pipes or water mains are dealt with by the appropriate water utility company:

Non-emergency reports

All non-emergencies that do not present an immediate risk to public safety can still be reported online.

Non-emergency reportsĀ are not monitored outside of Customer Service Centre opening hours, or during bank holidays or weekends.

A23, A27, M23 and M27 issues

Reporting of issues and emergencies affecting trunk roads and motorways can be done by contacting National Highways.

Last updated:
12 June 2023
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.