Make a complaint

How your comments help us review and improve our services.

1 Overview

As part of the measures to allow our staff to prioritise the wellbeing of residents during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we have taken the decision to extend all first stage complaint timescales from 10 working days to 20 working days with immediate effect.

Complaints are dealt with under one of three Council procedures:

  1. Corporate
  2. Adults' social care
  3. Children’s social care.

When we receive your complaint we will advise you which procedure we will follow.

2 Complaints procedures

Corporate complaints procedures

The best way to get something sorted out is to talk or write to the person you dealt with, or their line manager.

If you don't know how to contact them, or you don't need to speak to anybody, you can register your complaint with us.

Whichever way we are going to deal with the problem, we will give you a full explanation of what we are doing and why.

Adults' and children's social care complaints

Whenever you have a problem with our social care services we want to hear about it.

Sometimes we will treat the problem as a complaint and use the procedures below; at other times we may use a different way to resolve things:

Supporting documents

3 What you can expect

The three complaints procedures vary slightly, but each one means that you will receive a response from the manager responsible for the service, hopefully within ten working days but certainly within 20 working days.

It is possible that they will contact you to discuss your complaint before they send the response. The response will tell you what the next steps are if you are still unhappy.

4 If you need help to make your complaint

If you would like someone else to deal with the complaint on your behalf, or to support you when you make your complaint, this is fine. We will check with you that you are aware of the complaint and that you agree with it before proceeding.

If you are an adult, you can find details about advocacy and organisations who might help on our Connect to Support site.

If you are a child or a care leaver you can find details about advocacy on our Your Space site.

5 Submit your complaint

Last updated:
5 May 2020
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.