Raise a concern about an adult

What to do if you think an adult is being harmed, abused or neglected.

1 How to raise a concern

If you think the danger is immediate phone the police now on 999!

If it is less urgent, you can either:

2 How we support adults at risk

Across Sussex, health services, adult social care services and the police have agreed ways of working together to prevent, respond to and look into the suspected abuse of adults at risk. Adult safeguarding arrangements in the county are led by West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board.

When we use the term ‘safeguarding adults’ we mean that we work together with adults at risk. This means supporting them to live as independently and safely as possible, in the way that they want, so that they are in control of their lives.

3 What we will do

We will always:

  • take all concerns we receive seriously
  • take appropriate action regarding any immediate risk
  • try to talk to the adult at risk as soon as possible about what they want to happen and what support they may want to help them keep safe – if the person refuses help but others may be at risk, we will take appropriate action but will always keep the person who is at risk informed
  • talk to the police if it is a criminal matter
  • talk to those involved and ask them what has happened
  • talk to other professionals who may need to be involved
  • gather relevant information to decide whether we need to take further action, following our safeguarding procedures.
Last updated:
4 January 2019

Share this

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.