1 How to raise a concern
If you think the danger is immediate phone the police now on 999!
If it is less urgent, you can either:
- phone Sussex Police on 101
- use our online adult safeguarding alert form
- phone Adults’ CarePoint on 01243 642121.
Further information on what adult abuse or neglect is and the things you can do to help yourself can be find on West Sussex Connect to Support.
2 What we will do
We will always:
- take all concerns we receive seriously
- take appropriate action regarding any immediate risk
- try to talk to the adult at risk as soon as possible about what they want to happen and what support they may want to help them keep safe – if the person refuses help, but others may be at risk, we will need to take appropriate action, but we will always keep the adult who is at risk informed
- talk to the police if it is a criminal matter
- talk to those involved and ask them what has happened
- talk to other professionals who may need to be involved
- gather relevant information to decide whether we need to take further action under the adult safeguarding procedures.
Further information is available in the ‘What will happen next?’ section of the document below.
3 How we support adults to keep safe
If you tell us that you think you or someone you know is being abused, we have procedures to deal with this.
We use the term ‘safeguarding adults’ to mean working together with adults at risk, to support them to live as independently and safely as possible, in the way that they want, so they are in control of their lives.
Across Sussex, health services, adult social care services and the police have agreed ways of working together to prevent, respond to and look into the suspected abuse of adults at risk.
4 Further information
Further information on protecting and safeguarding vulnerable adults is available on West Sussex Connect to Support or from the documents below.
- What to do if you, or someone you know, may be being harmed, neglected or abused (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Working with self neglect in Sussex leaflet (PDF, 140KB)
- Say no to abuse - easy read (PDF, 403KB)
Find out how the West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board helps protect adults in West Sussex.