Planning your care and support

How we create your care and support plan.

A care and support plan sets out how your social care needs will be met. You can complete this yourself, with or without support, or you can get someone else to complete it for you. It will then need to be agreed with your social care worker.

Your support plan will include:

  • your needs, as identified in your assessment
  • what is important to you
  • what you want to achieve (your outcomes)
  • what help you need to achieve your outcomes (including care and support provided by your family, friends or community)
  • your care and/or support network
  • how you would prepare for any unplanned changes to your care and/or support - for example, if someone who provides care to you was suddenly unable to do so
  • how you intend to spend your personal budget (non-residential care)
  • how you will receive and manage your personal budget
  • who will support you in managing your personal budget if you need help.

We will keep a record of your views showing what we have agreed together and regularly review it.

Other sources of funding or support will be taken into account when completing your support plan. Social care funding cannot be used to pay for things such as NHS-funded care, regular household bills or for needs that are already being met.

Support Brokerage Service

We want you to be able to get good advice and support when you are planning how to spend your personal budget. Once you have agreed the goals you want to achieve you will be referred to our Support Brokerage Service.

A support broker will help you think about the many ways you can get care and support, help find the right services for you and work out the costs involved.

If you have learning disabilities or mental health needs a social care worker will help you develop your support plan. You will not be referred to a support broker.

Last updated:
13 June 2019
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.