Eligibility for adult social care support

How we use an eligibility criteria to decide who we can help.

1 How we decide who is eligible

We have to make sure that those most in need receive the highest level of support and that everyone is treated fairly.

We use national guidelines to help us understand whether someone has eligible social care needs. This applies to people needing social care support and to family and friend carers.

When deciding whether you have eligible social care needs, we must consider whether:

  • you have care and support needs as a result of a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • as a result of those needs you cannot achieve two or more of the following outcomes set out in the Care Act and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2015:
    • Managing and maintaining nutrition
    • Maintaining personal hygiene
    • Managing toilet needs
    • Being appropriately clothed
    • Being able to make use of your home safely
    • Maintaining a habitable home environment
    • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
    • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
    • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities or services
    • Carrying out any caring responsibilities for a child 
  • your wellbeing is significantly impacted in one or more of the following areas:
    • Personal dignity
    • Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
    • Protection from abuse and neglect
    • Personal control over your day-to-day life
    • Participation in work, education, training or recreation
    • Social and economic wellbeing
    • Domestic, family and personal relationships
    • Suitability of your living accommodation
    • Your contribution to society.

You can find out more in the document below:

2 If you are eligible for support

If you have eligible needs we will:

  • consider your strengths and capabilities
  • look at what is available in your local community that could help you
  • look at how the cost of your care can be met - you may need to make a financial contribution.

Once a provisional amount of money has been agreed, we can help you plan your support.

In all cases, we will give you advice and information about the support that is available in your community to help you.

3 If you are not eligible for funded support

Even if you do not qualify to receive funded support we will provide information and advice to help you find the support you need. Many support services are free of charge, but if they are not we cannot pay for them.

We can also help you arrange and buy services if you have been assessed as having eligible social care needs but have savings or investments over the national threshold of £23,250.

See our Support Brokerage Service page for more information.

Be aware that our brokerage service only covers services in the community and does not include long-term residential care.

4 If you are not able to make decisions

If you are not able to make decisions for yourself about your social care needs we will discuss these with your relatives and/or someone who holds a power of attorney on your behalf.

Alternatively, the Court of Protection may have appointed someone to act on your behalf.

If there is no one to act on your behalf, we will always act in your best interests.

Last updated:
28 October 2020
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.