Eligibility for adult social care support

How we use an eligibility criteria to decide who we can help.

1 How we decide who is eligible for council-funded support

We must make sure that those most in need receive the highest level of support and that everyone is treated fairly.

We use national guidelines to help us understand whether someone has eligible social care needs. This applies to people needing social care support and to family and friend carers.

The guidelines are called ‘eligibility criteria’ and are set out in the Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2015.

We will focus on things that are important to you in your circumstances. We may ask you about:

  • your wellbeing - what is important to you in your daily life
  • any physical illness or mental-health issues
  • food and drink - your diet and preparing meals
  • personal care - keeping clean and being appropriately dressed
  • looking after your home
  • getting around your home safely
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • finding and being involved in work, training, education or volunteering
  • getting out and about - using community services, including public transport and recreational facilities
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities.

You can find out more in the document below:

2 If you are eligible for council-funded support

We will work with you to identify your strengths and capabilities. We will look at what you want to achieve and identify any support that may be available from your family and friend networks or in your local community, before working out how much money may be available for your support.

We also explain to you that you may need to make a financial contribution towards the support you need.

Once a provisional amount of money has been agreed, we can help you plan your support.

In all cases, we will give you advice and information about the support that is available in your community to help you.

3 If you are not eligible for funded support

We will provide you with information and advice to help you plan the support you need, for example, information about other care providers, prevention and wellbeing services, equipment, community activities and advice on how to pay for your care.

For information about available care and support services and more, visit the West Sussex Connect to Support. 

We can also help you arrange and buy services if you have been assessed as having eligible social care needs but have savings or investments over the national threshold of £23,250 (not including the value of your main or only home). We call this a Support Brokerage Service.

Please note that our brokerage service only covers services in the community and does not include long-term residential care.

4 If you are not able to make decisions

If you are not able to make decisions for yourself about your social care needs we will discuss these with your relatives and/or someone who holds a power of attorney on your behalf.

Alternatively, the Court of Protection may have appointed someone to act on your behalf.

If there is no one to act on your behalf, we will always act in your best interests.

Last updated:
20 February 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.