Vehicles causing obstruction

Find out how to report a vehicle causing an obstruction or parked dangerously.

Vehicles parking in contravention of existing waiting restrictions should be reported to the relevant district or borough council parking service.

A district or borough council will not be able to intervene in cases of dangerous or obstructive parking. This could be where a vehicle is parked on the pavement, where there are no waiting restrictions or if the land is private.

If vehicles are causing an obstruction, preventing access for emergency vehicles, parking on the pavement or blocking driveways, report it to Sussex Police. Please use the non-emergency number 101 or email your local policing team.

Be mindful that obstruction is a very broad issue and Sussex Police will review each report on a case-by-case basis. They can only issue a fixed penalty or take other action in certain circumstances, for example when an obstruction is likely to endanger life.

The County Council or local community group may be able to act on your behalf by informing drivers of the inconvenience this parking is causing. You can report vehicles parking in a hazardous position on an unrestricted section of highway to the County Council via Love West Sussex.

Last updated:
17 September 2021
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.