Apply for an on-street parking permit

How to apply, the types of permit available and the charges.

1 How to apply for a permit

You need to contact your local district or borough council parking office to apply for:

  • an on-street parking permit - for roads within controlled parking zones, available for residents, non-residents, visitors and healthcare workers. Reduced prices are available for low emissions vehicles in some areas of West Sussex.
  • a dispensation notice - a scratch-off card that can be displayed on your dashboard, clearly stating the address you are visiting. It is most often used in the Controlled Parking Zone when it is not possible to display a Visitor's parking permit, for example, if the property you are working at is vacant.
  • a parking bay suspension - a request for a specific parking space to be suspended temporarily for a variety of reasons, such as building work, removals, special events, and traffic movement and safety.

This is because they administer each residents' parking scheme (RPS) on behalf of the County Council.

Further information and contact details

2 Types of permits

Permits, notices and suspensions include:

  • residents' permits
  • residents' visitors' permits
  • non-residents' permits
  • healthcare permits
  • residents' carer permits
  • traders' permits
  • charity permits
  • dispensation notices
  • lost, damaged or stolen permits
  • parking bay suspensions (minimum 24-hour notice required)
  • parking for weddings and funerals.

Additional information

3 On-street parking permit charges

Update: The Government introduced parking passes for NHS staff, health/social care workers and NHS volunteer responders carrying out official duties in relation to the COVID-19 emergency response. Please note: The use of these passes in local authority owned car parks and on the public highway ceased on the 21 June 2021 and are no longer valid. However, they may still be valid in some NHS owned car parks. The concession previously introduced for furloughed residents has also come to an end.

The current charges for on-street parking permits can be found in the document below. Please note that charges may be periodically reviewed.

Last updated:
28 April 2022
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.