Many current and former members of the armed forces live and work in West Sussex. The only armed forces base is at Thorney Island, near Chichester, where regiments from the Royal Artillery reside. We also have Reservist Engineers from the 103 Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers based in Crawley.
If you are thinking to become a reservist, please visit our page to find out more.
In supporting the Community Covenant, we have also introduced the Guaranteed Interview Scheme for veterans.
West Sussex armed forces covenant
This is our commitment to support the armed forces community in West Sussex, including all serving and former members, reservists and their families.
The Covenant aims to:
- encourage local support for the armed forces community
- promote an understanding and awareness amongst the public of issues affecting the armed forces community
- recognise and remember the sacrifices made by the armed forces community
- encourage activities to help the armed forces community integrate into local life.
To help achieve the aims of the covenant, representatives of the armed forces participate in the West Sussex Cooperative, which provides a direct link between local decision makers and the armed forces.
- West Sussex armed forces covenant (PDF, 1MB)
- Thorney Island and Bourne Community Trust Covenant (PDF, 204KB)
More information on armed forces community covenant can be found on GOV.UK.