Fire service information, including recruitment, safety advice and training courses.

Fire safety and licensing of events

Find out about fire safety and licensing for events.

Premises licences

These licences authorise the use of any premises (vehicle, vessel, movable structure or any place or part of any premises) for licensable activities such as:

  • selling or supplying alcohol
  • serving hot food and drinks between 11.00pm and 5.00am.

You’ll also need a licence if you provide various types of entertainment. You can find out more on GOV.UK.

Licences are issued by local district and borough councils, who consult West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service on the public safety elements of any applications under the Licensing Act 2003. This gives us the opportunity to assess the nature of the application, premises type and fire precautions to ensure the public will be safe. As a result we may provide you with fire safety advice or conduct a fire safety audit of your premises.

Under the Fire Safety Order the responsible person must also conduct a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment of the premises.

Other licences

You can find out more about licensing on your local district or borough council's website:

Additional information

Government fire safety risk assessment guidance on venues

Last updated:
23 October 2020
Share this