1 Health promotion resources
Important: The Health promotion resource centre is currently closed, which means that leaflets, posters and other resources cannot be distributed from this service.
Should you wish to print government approved Coronavirus (Covid-19) communication literature, such as hand washing advice, please sign up to the Public Health England campaign centre and print these out directly or circulate by email. This is the best way to obtain up to date resources that are approved and issued nationally.
We aim to support the work of health promoters across West Sussex by providing resources such as teaching packs, DVDs, games, models and displays, as well as leaflets and posters on health promotion topics. We can also provide advice and guidance on appropriate materials and signpost to sources of information for national and local campaigns and local services.
Our materials are suitable for use by professionals working with a wide range of client groups, from antenatal, through pre-school and school years, to adults of all ages and people with special needs.
Anyone involved in promoting health who lives or works in West Sussex can use our resources, including:
- health professionals
- students on health professional qualification courses
- children and family centre workers
- volunteers with health promotion as part of their role
- youth workers.
Our resources cover a broad range of health promotion issues. Use the documents below to search for available resources.
- Searchable spreadsheet of resources (Excel, 387KB)
- Guidance for using the spreadsheet filters (PDF, 56KB)
How to order
Use the online forms below to order resources.
2 Patient Group Directions
Patient Group Directions (PGDs) are written instructions for the supply or administration of medicines to groups of patients who may not be individually identified before treatment.
PGDs must only be used by specified, registered health professionals. The current West Sussex County Council PGDs are for use by accredited community pharmacists only. A copy of the process for development, approval and implementation of PGDs is available on request.
West Sussex County Council PGDs
- MPG2 Patient Group Directions: competency framework for health professionals using Patient Group Directions
- Patient Group Directions NICE guidelines (MPG2)
3 Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment (PNA)
Since 1 April 2013, every Health and Wellbeing Board (HWB) in England has had a statutory responsibility to publish and keep up to date a statement of the needs for pharmaceutical services of the population in its area. This is referred to as a Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment (PNA).
- looks at the current provision of pharmaceutical services across West Sussex
- decides whether this meets the current and future needs of the population
- identifies any potential gaps to service delivery.
The PNA is a key document which is used by:
- NHS England to inform decisions about applications for new, or changes to existing, pharmaceutical service and the commissioning of NHS-funded services that can be provided by local community pharmacies
- local authorities and Clinical Commissioning Groups when commissioning services to meet local health needs and priorities.
Future PNAs and supplementary statements
The NHS (Pharmaceutical and Local Pharmaceutical Services) Regulations 2013 require the HWB to issue a revised assessment within three years of its previous PNA publication, or where significant changes to the need for pharmaceutical services are identified.
Where changes are not considered to be significant, the HWB is responsible for publishing a supplementary statement explaining any changes to the pharmaceutical service provision.
You can find West Sussex's PNA for 2018 attached below.
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Executive summary (PDF, 580KB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Full report (PDF, 4.7MB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Appendices (PDF, 3.4MB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Supplementary statement 5 (PDF, 496KB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Supplementary statement 4 (PDF, 278KB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Supplementary statement 3 (PDF, 320KB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Supplementary statement 2 (PDF, 464KB)
- West Sussex PNA 2018: Supplementary statement 1 (PDF, 341KB)