Blue Badges enable disabled people with visible and hidden disabilities to access goods and services by allowing them to park close to their destination. Blue Badge holders may travel as either the driver or passenger in accordance with the rules of the scheme.
Important COVID-19 (coronavirus) information: Due to the current situation, please avoid applying for your Blue Badge by paper/post. Although we do our best to process paper applications, we have limited capacity to do so.
Please also take extra care to ensure that you include all required information and copies of documents with your application so that we can process it more efficiently.
The quickest and easiest way to apply or renew is online.
- No waiting for your documents to arrive in the post.
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Eligibility checker.
- Access from a number of devices (smartphone, tablet, PC).
- Family or friends can assist you with your online application.
- Reduction in delays as any missing information can be requested immediately.
2 Eligibility criteria
To be eligible for a Blue Badge you must meet certain criteria. These are detailed in the Department for Transport leaflet on the GOV.UK website.
There is also an eligibility checker on the online application and renewal form.
3 How to apply for or renew a Blue Badge
There is no charge to apply for a Blue Badge. Some private companies offer to help you complete your form for a charge, but you can get free help and advice by contacting us using the details below.
Be aware that:
- it may take up to eight weeks to process a complete application - if information is missing it can take longer
- if you have a badge, you can reapply up to 12 weeks in advance of it running out
- you may be asked to attend an appointment with an expert assessor
- including uploaded copies of documentation prevents delay - check you have provided everything that is required
- giving as much information as possible will help us assess your application.
Blue Badge renewals follow the same process as a new application.
Before starting your online application, ensure you have the following information ready:
- Details of your current Blue Badge (if you have one).
- Your National Insurance number.
- Details of any medication you take, including the dosage.
You will also need to attach the following, either as scanned documents or digital photographs:
- A recent, colour, passport-size photograph.
- A document confirming your address, such as a Council Tax or utility bill dated within the last 12 months.
- A document proving your identity, such as your passport or driving licence.
- Recent medical evidence of your disability.
- Your award letter if you are applying under any of the automatic eligibility criteria (to apply under Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP), this must be no more than 12 months old). If any awards have been issued to a date less than three years in the future, your Blue Badge will expire on the same date as the award. If this is the case, you may wish to apply under a different category.
This form may take some time to complete. If you can't complete your application in one sitting we recommend you 'Save and exit' at regular intervals, particularly before uploading documents or photos. Details of how to retrieve your saved application will be sent to you by email.
You will be asked for payment details during the process, but you will only be charged the £10 fee if your application for a Blue Badge is approved.
Apply by post
We recommend that you make your application online. However, if you have no other option, you can send an application by post.How to apply for a Blue Badge by post
Please contact us if you are unable to produce any of the necessary documents or have problems with the application process.
5 What happens next
Applications typically take up to eight weeks to process, not including any time spent waiting for missing documents or information. We will contact you should we require anything further.
Please note that for certain communications, our system generates automated letters that are sent as attachments from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any doubts as to the source of the email, please do not open the message or attachments and contact us:
We will let you know the outcome of your application or renewal.
6 Receiving your badge
If your application is successful, you will be advised by email or post on how to pay online or over the phone. You will then receive your badge by post to your home address.
If you have any problems with this, please contact the Blue Badge team:
Before you use your Blue Badge, visit GOV.UK and download the booklet to find out how to use it.