We use three types of road agreement:
- Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 for proposed modifications to the existing road network
- Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980 for adoption of new roads
- Minor works S278 agreement for works to the highway that do not require full Section 278 agreement.
Many schemes require combined Section 278 and Section 38 agreements as works are required to existing roads as well as adoption of new ones.
How to apply
Read the guidance, technical notes and other documents, and complete the relevant application form. To complete an application form right-click the link, select ‘Save link as…’ and select a location to save the document to your computer. You can then open your saved copy, complete, save and return the form as instructed.
- Section 278/Section 38 agreement application form (PDF, 248KB)
- Section 278/Section 38 guidance and technical notes (PDF, 37KB)
- Minor works agreement application form with guidance and technical notes (PDF, 256KB)
- Standard construction details (PDF, 9.2MB)
- Highway agreement plan example (PDF, 547KB)
- Lighting of developer promoted highway schemes (PDF, 374KB)
- Developers guidance note (PDF, 85KB) - For developer-funded traffic calming and related engineering schemes
- Guidance for the design of road pavement foundations (PDF, 120KB)
- Road Safety Audit Policy (PDF, 36KB) - Procedure for developer proposals that require a road safety audit
- Guidance for the design of structures (PDF, 20KB)
Send your completed forms and supporting documents to the address below.