Road agreements

Apply for a Section 278/Section 38 or minor works road agreement.

We use three types of road agreement:

  • Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 for proposed modifications to the existing road network
  • Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980 for adoption of new roads
  • Minor works S278 agreement for works to the highway that do not require full Section 278 agreement.

Many schemes require combined Section 278 and Section 38 agreements as works are required to existing roads as well as adoption of new ones.

How to apply

Read the guidance, technical notes and other documents, and complete the relevant application form.

Guidance, technical notes and other documents

Application forms

Send your completed forms and supporting documents to the address below.

Last updated:
16 May 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.