We use three types of road agreement:
- Section 278 of the Highways Act 1980 for proposed modifications to the existing road network
- Section 38 of the Highways Act 1980 for adoption of new roads
- Minor works S278 agreement for works to the highway that do not require full Section 278 agreement.
Many schemes require combined Section 278 and Section 38 agreements as works are required to existing roads as well as adoption of new ones.
How to apply
Read the guidance, technical notes and other documents, and complete the relevant application form.
- Section 278/Section 38 agreement application form (PDF, 164KB) - To complete this form, right-click the link, select ‘Save link as...’ and select a location to save it to your computer. Open the saved copy then complete, save and return the form as instructed below.
- Section 278/Section 38 guidance and technical notes (PDF, 118KB)
- Minor works agreement application form with guidance and technical notes (PDF, 172KB) - To complete this form, right-click the link, select ‘Save link as...’ and select a location to save it to your computer. Open the saved copy then complete, save and return the form as instructed below.
- Standard construction details (PDF, 12MB)
- Highway agreement plan example (PDF, 547KB)
- Lighting of developer promoted highway schemes (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Developers guidance note (PDF, 85KB) - For developer-funded traffic calming and related engineering schemes
- Guidance for the design of road pavement foundations (PDF, 139KB)
- Road Safety Audit Policy (PDF, 36KB) - The design manual for roads and bridges has been updated and HD 19/15 has been replaced with GG 119 road safety audit. From 1 April 2019, we will require road safety audits to comply with the requirements of GG 119 and not HD 19/15.
- Guidance for the design of structures (PDF, 20KB)
- Signal design standards (PDF, 220KB)
- Traffic signal installation standards (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Policy on commuted sums for maintaining infrastructure assets in association with Section 278 and Section 38 highway agreements (PDF, 70KB)
- Adoptable highway drainage and sustainable drainage systems - guidance for developers (PDF, 173KB)
Send your completed forms and supporting documents to the address below.