Local planning authorities consult us for advice on any road and transport issues that affect proposals submitted for planning permission. They then take our recommendations into account when making a decision on a planning application.
Before you submit a planning application, we can provide advice on road and transport issues associated with any proposed development. The benefits of seeking advice include:
- potentially reducing the time and cost involved in working up proposals
- reducing the subsequent cost of unsuccessful applications
- comprehensive information on what you need to provide with your application
- helping to speed up the decision making process once an application has been submitted.
We offer four levels of pre-application advice:
- A free written response to an initial enquiry.
- A full written response, suitable for straightforward small to medium sized developments.
- One meeting or site visit with written advice, suitable for small to medium sized developments.
- The involvement of our team for larger developments on a longer term basis (with site visits and/or meetings).
The document below has full details of each level, what is covered, how much it costs and how to apply, including the required supporting information. To complete an application form, right-click the link, select ‘Save link as…’ and save to your computer. You can then open your saved copy, complete and save, and return the form as instructed.
Please note that some charges for pre-application advice have increased from May 2017.
- Seeking pre-application advice guidance (PDF, 85KB)
- Apply for pre-application advice for roads and transport (PDF, 287KB)
See below if you need to contact us.
- Design manual for roads and bridges: Vol. 6 road geometry, section 1 links - Part 1 TD 9/93 highway link design
- Local design guide (PDF, 96KB) – Supplementary guidance for residential development proposals and advice on how the manual for streets should be interpreted and applied in West Sussex.
- Manual for streets and Manual for streets 2 – Guidance for those involved in the planning, design, provision and approval of new streets and modifications to existing ones.
- Parking standards and transport contributions methodology supplementary planning guidance (PDF, 271KB) – For all development use classes and a contributions methodology to be applied to commercial and residential development.
- Guidance on car parking in residential developments (PDF, 94KB) and Car parking demand calculator (Excel, 6MB) – Applies to parking in residential developments where requirements are calculated on a site-specific basis using the demand calculator. To accompany this calculator view maps (PDF, 11MB) showing the wards in each district.
- Road agreements – Read guidance, technical notes and other documents about Section 278, Section 38 and minor works agreements and download application forms.
- Transport assessments – Guidance from the Department for Transport.
- Transport assessment methodology (PDF, 189KB) – For local authorities and developers.
- Trip Rate Information Computer System (TRICS) - The national standard system of trip generation and analysis, used as a part of the transport assessment process.