Local planning authorities consult us for advice on any road and transport issues that affect proposals submitted for planning permission. They then take our recommendations into account when making a decision on a planning application.
Before you submit a planning application, we can provide advice on road and transport issues associated with any proposed development.
The benefits of seeking advice include:
- potentially reducing the time and cost involved in working up proposals
- reducing the subsequent cost of unsuccessful applications
- comprehensive information on what you need to provide with your application
- helping to speed up the decision making process once an application has been submitted.
2 Advice levels
We offer three levels of pre-application advice.
- Free written response to an initial enquiry – suitable for straightforward small or medium sized developments.
- Single meeting with written advice – suitable for larger development sites which may require a meeting.
- Development team – suitable for larger development sites which require involvement on a longer term basis.
After receiving your request for pre-application advice, if we are providing one of our chargeable services, we will send you an email to pay online.
Though paying online is our preferred method, we can still issue invoices and accept BACS and cheque payments.
If you would prefer to use one of the alternatives, please indicate this on your application.
|No. of dwellings||Commercial and
|Single meeting and
|Up to 10||Up to 100m²||£100 plus VAT||£250 plus VAT|
|11-24||101m²-500m²||£400 plus VAT||£650 plus VAT|
|25-49||501m²-1,000m²||£600 plus VAT||£850 plus VAT|
|50-79||1,001m²-2,000m²||£1,100 plus VAT||£1,250 plus VAT|
|80-199||2,001m²-5,000m²||£2,000 plus VAT||£2,000 plus VAT|
|200+||5,001m² +||£2,200 plus VAT||£2,200 plus VAT|
4 Request advice
We recommend reading the guidance document before requesting advice. It includes full details of each level and required supporting information.Request pre-application advice
5 What happens next
After submitting your request for advice you will be contacted for payment of the non-refundable fee.
We aim to respond to your request within seven days and confirm whether sufficient information has been received to proceed.
6 Additional information
- Design manual for roads and bridges: Vol. 6 road geometry, Section 1 links - Part 1 TD 9/93 highway link design.
- Manual for streets and Manual for streets 2 – Guidance for those involved in the planning, design, provision and approval of new streets and modifications to existing ones.
- Road agreements – Read guidance (technical notes and other documents about Section 278, Section 38 and minor works agreements) and download application forms.
- Transport assessments – Guidance from the Department for Transport.
- Trip Rate Information Computer System (TRICS) - The national standard system of trip generation and analysis, used as a part of the transport assessment process.
- Guidance on car parking in residential developments (PDF, 94KB) and Car parking demand calculator (Excel, 6MB) – Applies to parking in residential developments where requirements are calculated on a site-specific basis using the demand calculator. To accompany this calculator view the maps in the bullet below.
- Local design guide (PDF, 96KB) – Supplementary guidance for residential development proposals and advice on how the manual for streets should be interpreted and applied in West Sussex.
- Maps showing the wards in each district/borough in West Sussex (PDF, 11MB).
- Parking standards and transport contributions methodology supplementary planning guidance (PDF, 271KB) – For all development use classes and a contributions methodology to be applied to commercial and residential development.
- Transport assessment methodology (PDF, 189KB) – For local authorities and developers.
7 Contact us
If you have a query about applying for pre-application advice, please get in touch: