More than half of all young people never try smoking but if you have started to smoke there is help available if you want to quit. The younger you start smoking the harder it is to quit and the more damage you could do to your health.
Support to help you stop smoking
You are four times more likely to stop smoking with professional help.
- Visit NHS Smokefree to get support including an app, Quit Kit, email, text and face-to-face guidance.
- Talk to your GP who can give you advice and support.
- Visit your local pharmacy. Many of them have stop smoking advisers who can give you advice.
Risks of smoking
- Your general level of fitness will be reduced.
- Smoking gives you smelly hair, clothes and can turn your nails, teeth and hands yellow.
- Smoking reduces your sense of taste and smell.
- Smoking damages your body and can increase your risk of heart disease and other illnesses.
Benefits of stopping smoking
Quitting smoking is not easy but there are so many benefits when you do stop:
- You will feel much better!
- Cigarettes are expensive, think of what else you could buy with the money that you save.
- You will reduce your risk of smoking related diseases.
- Your sense of smell and taste will be much improved.