Social value is achieved by generating benefits to society, the economy and positive impacts to the environment and local communities via our external spend. It can be created in many ways, and has wide ranging benefits across the county.
Our Social Value Framework is intended to support officers at West Sussex County Council (WSCC) and our suppliers. The framework:
- aims to strengthen and enhance opportunities in delivering social benefit to our communities
- sets out the steps by which we achieve the maximum benefit and impact for our residents
- describes the process of how we embed social value principles in our commissioning, procurement and contract management practices.
Social value can bring long-term benefit to West Sussex over and above the requirements of our contracts in many ways. These include:
- creating local employment opportunities for the long-term unemployed or those not in education, employment, or training
- offering work placements to school children and young adults
- providing greater opportunities for individuals or groups facing greater social or economic barriers
- creating supply chain opportunities for voluntary, community and social enterprise sector organisations
- encouraging community engagement
- supporting local and national initiatives that target hard to reach groups
- making facilities available to groups that would otherwise struggle to access them
- leveraging additional investment into West Sussex.