Benefits and payments checklist

Financial assistance a person in residential care may be able to receive.

Funding the cost of care home fees is a considerable expense.

It is important to ensure that a person is receiving the benefits and payments that they are entitled to. This will help towards paying the fees of their care home and make their savings last for as long as possible.

The benefits and payments listed below are a prompt rather than an exhaustive list. West Sussex County Council cannot accept responsibility for omissions or errors. Unless specified, these benefits and payments are not means tested or taxable.

Attendance Allowance

This is payable for a person aged 65 or over who needs help with personal care. See GOV.UK to find out about eligibility and current rates.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This benefit is for people aged between 16 and 64 with a long-term condition or disability. A long-term condition is one that will affect an individual for 12 months or longer. See GOV.UK for details about eligibility and rates payable.

NHS-funded nursing care contribution 

There are some details on our paying for residential care page. More information is also available on the NHS website about NHS-funded nursing care.

State Pension

Ensure the resident, if entitled, is receiving their State Pension. GOV.UK provides details of how to claim. The State Pension is taxable.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit. See GOV.UK to check someone's entitlement, what they could receive and how to claim.

Last updated:
24 June 2024
Share this
Share this

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.