Housing options

Learn about the different housing options for older people.

Care homes

Care homes provide accommodation with trained staff on hand to look after your needs day and night.

There are two types of care home:

  1. care homes with trained staff who provide personal care similar to care that you would receive from relatives and friends
  2. nursing homes that provide the same level of care as care homes but also have trained nurses on duty to provide skilled nursing care when you need it.

You can find information about care homes in our Care Guide.

Other care options

Close care

Close care is the term for sheltered housing built in the grounds of a care home. Residents can purchase care and support, as well as other services such as domiciliary care and meals, from the nearby care home.

Extra care housing

This is an attractive option if you want the security of having care staff on hand but do not want to lose the independence of living in your own home. Individual flats in extra care schemes are fully self-contained, with their own kitchen, bathroom and front door. Most offer a range of services, including a midday meal and access to specialist bathing facilities.

Sheltered housing

Mainly for older people, sheltered housing usually takes the form of a group of small houses or flats with the availability of a warden, who can give help and support in an emergency.

Supported housing

This is designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities. Some schemes have the benefit of a live-in warden and emergency call systems. Other schemes offer communal accommodation to small groups of people with similar needs. They are mainly for people with learning disabilities and mental health problems.

More detailed information can be found in our Care Guide, including details of registered care homes and home care services.

Useful links

Last updated:
11 January 2018
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.