Access protection lines (APLs) are white 'H' shaped lines intended to prevent persistent obstruction of driveways and entrances to properties by parked vehicles.
However, they are:
- only advisory and have no legal standing
- not designed to improve the amount of room that is available to turn into or out of your property.
If approved, the lines will only be marked from the dropped kerbs either side of the access. They will not be extended to prevent parking outside of this area.
APLs wear away over time. As they only provide protection for a private access, they are not maintained as part of routine road maintenance. When they fade you will need to ask for them to be repainted.
We have no enforcement powers if your driveway or entrance becomes obstructed, this should be reported to the Police.
There is a non-refundable fee of £146.88 which includes assessing your application, installation and refurbishment.
You will be asked to make payment online once we have received your application.
Access protections lines:
- will not be placed where there are already double yellow lines on the road outside your property, if these restrictions apply 24/7 all year round.
- will not be placed when there are single yellow lines on the road outside your property as these restrictions apply only within the sign posted.
- will not be placed where there is a double solid white line in the centre of the road.
- will not be installed opposite a vehicle cross over (dropped kerb).
- can be installed within controlled parking zones provided the above criteria is fulfilled.
You must have a correctly constructed dropped kerb in place before you can submit an application.
The form can be used to request either a new APL or refurbishment of an existing line.Apply for an access protection line
5 What happens next?
After submitting your application, you will be contacted for payment of the non-refundable fee.
Once payment is confirmed your application will be allocated to an officer, who will assess the site and will contact you within 20 days.
Once your application has been approved it can take 6-8 weeks before the APL is painted. This type of work is weather dependent and therefore these times may vary slightly.