Planning enforcement

Report unauthorised mineral and waste activity.

1 Breaches of planning control

We have a duty to control development associated with:

  • mineral extraction and processing
  • the management of waste
  • the County Council’s own development.

Some development may be authorised by planning permission while other development may not need it.

We monitor authorised mineral and waste development to ensure that they comply with the terms of the conditions attached to the permission. Development that does not comply with the terms of its planning permission is known as a ‘breach of planning control’. If you suspect there has been such a breach please report it to us.

We investigate all possible breaches (unless it has been reported anonymously, in which case we cannot investigate) and, where necessary, take appropriate enforcement action.

Our role in planning compliance and enforcement, and our approach to carrying it out, is set out in the plan below.

2 Enforcement

We treat personal details as confidential. Other matters that are part of an enforcement investigation are exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and release of such information is strictly forbidden for reasons of personal safety.

After receiving a report about a potential breach of planning control we will:

  • acknowledge the report within 10 working days
  • carry out an initial assessment using set criteria
  • prioritise it by considering the nature and scale of any irreversible damage and the impact of delaying action
  • try to seek an informal resolution of a breach of planning control by negotiation with the operator or developer unless there is significant risk of irreversible harm to high priority areas, for which we may take more formal action
  • let you know the outcome of the investigation - if we decide to take no formal enforcement action we'll explain why.

Reports about the investigation of potential breaches of planning control and any enforcement action are presented to the Planning Committee every 6 months, usually in January and June. The reports are available with the Planning Committee’s agendas and minutes.

3 Report a breach of planning control

Please contact us if you suspect that:

  • planning conditions have been breached at a minerals or waste site, or on County Council land
  • unauthorised minerals or waste development is taking, or has taken, place.

When reporting please provide as much information as possible, such as:

  • the site address or location
  • details of the alleged breach - any photographs or a record of activity will assist us greatly
  • when the breach started or took place
  • the name and contact details of the operator or landowner
  • your name, address and contact phone number.
Report a breach of planning control (external link)
Last updated:
24 June 2024
Share this
Share this

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.