Last updated:
5 January 2017

Planning: Who does what?

Find out what is dealt with by us, the district and borough councils and the South Downs National Park Authority.

Responsibility for planning is split between the County Council and the district and borough councils. All planning decisions in the national park are dealt with by the South Downs National Park Authority. Guidance on the planning process can be found on the Planning Portal.

We deal with planning applications for minerals, waste, our own developmentminerals and waste policy and transport planning.

Contact your district or borough council for information on:

  • all other planning applications
  • building regulations and building control
  • listed buildings
  • conservation areas
  • tree preservation orders
  • local planning policy (including proposed housing numbers)
  • community infrastructure levy
  • neighbourhood plans.

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating and/or if you have more specific feedback about this page, please use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.