Last updated:
22 January 2018

Share this

Report an unauthorised Gypsy or Traveller site

Report an unauthorised Gypsy or Traveller site on local authority land.

1 Report an encampment

Contact us if an unauthorised Gypsy or Traveller encampment is set up on public land or a highway without permission.

2 Already reported encampments

There are currently no encampments on highway or public land that the County Council are aware of.

Last updated: 15 September 2017

3 What happens after you report

We will then visit a site to check:

  • its tidiness
  • how much it's disrupting local residents and businesses
  • whether it's obstructing highways or public rights of way
  • if there are any welfare and humanitarian issues.

We will tolerate an encampment for a short time if the campers are behaving, the site is tidy and other circumstances allow.

We are likely to evict if the camp is causing a nuisance or campers aren't behaving. Usually we agree an acceptable deadline with the campers. This is cheaper and quicker than taking legal action. 

If we can't agree an eviction deadline there are powers the police can use. We have to apply these in line with the Human Rights Act and Race Relations Act, otherwise we may be challenged in court.

4 Unauthorised encampments on private land

These are the responsibility of the land owner.

Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.