Find details of who to contact for support if your child is being bullied.

1 What is bullying?

Bullying can be defined as deliberately hurtful behaviour, repeated over a period of time, where it is difficult for those being bullied to defend themselves.

It is not one-off incidents, no matter how aggressive the attack, or accidental harm.

2 Bullying in schools

We always recommend that parents and pupils speak to the school first.

All schools, by law, must have an anti-bullying policy. This is normally part of the behaviour policy, which sets out how it deals with incidents of bullying. You have a right to know about this policy which is as much for parents as for staff and pupils.

If you wish to make a complaint about how an incident or incidents of bullying have been handled, you should follow the school's complaints procedure.

3 Bullying outside of school

If bullying has occurred at a West Sussex County Council partner organisation, such as a public facility like a swimming pool, or within a service provided by a local council, we recommend you contact your local Early Help hub. That way, our trained staff can provide information, advice and guidance, which may include a referral to other services.

Early Help hub contact details

If the bullying occurred at a commercial venue, we recommend you speak to the venue's manager. If you feel it is appropriate, the matter may also be referred to the police, particularly if physical assault or threat of violence is involved.

  • Phone (non-emergencies): 101

4 Further support and advice

Last updated:
16 April 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.