Who to contact if you have concerns about your child's homework.

There is no legal requirement for a school to set homework. You can ask to see a copy of the school's homework policy, as this will explain the procedures in your child's school.

If you have any issues about homework that your child has been set, you should discuss them with your child's class teacher or form tutor, or your child's subject teacher.

Information about the homework your child has been set can be found in their homework diary. You can also regularly monitor and make comments in their homework diary, planner or home-school liaison book.

Concerns about your child's homework

If you have had cause to contact your child's school and have not been satisfied with the response, raise the issue in writing with a senior member of staff, such as the head of year, deputy headteacher or headteacher. Alternatively, you can arrange a meeting with the headteacher.

If you are still not satisfied, you will need to put your complaint formally in writing to the chair of governors. It will be dealt with as a 'Curriculum' complaint - the school will advise you of the process.

Last updated:
28 November 2017
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.