Moving from pre-school to primary school is a time of change for children and parents - one which is full of opportunity and potential. Your child’s school will have lots of information so make sure you contact them or look out for an invitation to the school.
Read our guides for parents and carers to help with the transition, as well as practical advice on starting school.
- Discover things to do before your child starts school (PDF, 458KB)
- Discover things to do before your child starts school - plain text version (PDF, 71KB)
- Discover starting school (PDF, 538KB)
- Discover starting school leaflet - plain text version (PDF, 60KB)
Other useful resources can help you prepare. Here are some important ones for you to look at.
- Parents' guide to the Early Years Foundation Stage (see ‘EYFS for parents’) - The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets the standards that all early years providers must meet to make sure children learn and develop well and keep healthy and safe. It aims to ensure a child is prepared for school and develops a broad range of knowledge and skills to help as they progress through school.
- Books to read with children about starting school - Information on books to read with children and links to each one in the online library catalogue.
- Words for Life - This helps your child develop early literacy skills. Supporting your child’s literacy skills at home is a key factor in helping them become accomplished readers with broad vocabularies. Encouraging your child to look at and read books will put them at a great advantage when they start school.
- School meals - Find out how to apply for a school meal.
- West Sussex SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SEND IAS) - Provides impartial advice and information to parents and carers of children who have special educational needs (SEN).
- Term dates for schools in West Sussex - Find school term dates and INSET days in West Sussex and neighbouring counties. Your child's school can also provide information on its own term times and INSET days.