A car club is a membership scheme that offers you the use of a car on a pay-as-you-go basis when you really need it - without the costs associated with owning a car. If you drive less than 8,000 miles per year you will financially benefit from car club membership - Carplus estimate you could save as much as £3,500 per year.
2 Car clubs in West Sussex
There are currently two car clubs in West Sussex. Both clubs are operated by Co-Wheels, which has a network of over 400 cars available to members in over 50 towns and cities across the UK. In West Sussex vehicles are available to hire from just £4.50 per hour - plus 13p per mile for fuel costs.
The cars are available at the following locations:
- East Street, Chichester
- West Street, Chichester
- Litten Terrace, Chichester
- Stirling Road, Chichester
- North Street, Horsham
- Brighton Road, Horsham
- Bishopric, Horsham
To join the car club and book a car or obtain further information visit the Co-Wheels website.
3 Benefits of joining a car club
Groups that would benefit from using a car club include:
- people who just need a car occasionally and don’t want the expense and hassle of owning and running one
- families who currently run two or more cars or are thinking of buying a second car - many cars spend as much as 95% of their life parked in a driveway or in a car park
- businesses that permit employees to use their own vehicles for business trips - typically mileage costs can be reclaimed at rates of around 50p per mile
- younger drivers who find the high costs associated with owning a car (including insurance, maintenance, fuel, tax and the purchase price) a barrier to ownership - younger drivers can have access to a vehicle to gain valuable driving experience without the expense as long as they have held a licence for a period of 12 months.
4 Set up a car club
Car clubs work best in areas where businesses can make use of the cars during working hours and residents use them in the evenings and at weekends. The vehicles have dedicated parking spaces, which are conveniently located in the local community.
If you are interested in setting up a car club then further information and a list of operators is available on the Carplus website.