Road markings and signs

Learn who is responsible for markings and signs, how to report problems and request road markings.

1 Maintenance and enforcement of road signs

Our routine maintenance plan covers:

  • cleaning
  • checking electrical safety
  • checking signs are visible at night.

Signs on trunk roads and motorways (A27, A23 and M23) are the responsibility of National Highways.

District and borough councils are responsible for some signs, such as road name signs, bylaw notices, parking signs and parking enforcement. The appropriate council to contact will depend on where the issue is located. Find district and borough council contact details.

2 Report a problem with markings or signs

Report problems with illuminated signs or bollards to our contractor, Enerveo.

For issues with road markings or other signage:

3 Request new road markings

Requests for road markings such as yellow lines require a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). We receive numerous requests for TROs so we have to prioritise them based on a number of criteria, including safety, pollution and congestion. 

If you would like us to consider adding yellow lines please apply for a new Traffic Regulation Order.

See also:

4 Meaning of signs and markings

It is important that all road users, including pedestrians, are aware of the meaning of traffic signs and road markings. Find out more on the GOV.UK website:

Last updated:
20 February 2024
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.