We're looking for volunteers to get involved in a variety of different roles in West Sussex libraries. Involving volunteers helps us achieve our goals and also has a positive impact on our library service, our customers, the local community and on individuals.
Whatever time or skills you have, there is a role for you. Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills and contribute to your local community.
In return for your support, we can offer the following benefits:
- full training
- out of pocket expenses.
Some of the roles will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.
2 Volunteering statement
West Sussex Library Service is committed to involving volunteers and provides a diverse range of volunteer roles to help us achieve our goals and reflect the needs of the service, individuals, customers and the local community.
Involving volunteers has a positive impact on our library service, our customers, the local community and individuals. Volunteers make a difference because they:
- bring a diversity which enriches the library service
- bring a range of additional qualities, skills and expertise, knowledge and personal experiences
- help us to expand and extend our services beyond the core service delivery
- work together with staff (and provide support) to help us achieve our goals
- offer a unique perspective on the library service and different ways to engage with customers
- bring local knowledge, represent local views and help us build relationships with the local community
- help promote a cohesive community
- help more people access our services and engage with hard to reach customers
- spend time with our customers in the local community, which can help reduce social isolation
- are passionate about our service and give up their time to help make our values real
- have a more active lifestyle and improved sense of wellbeing
- develop new skills and retain existing skills
- meet new people and make friends
- learn and experience new activities and challenges
- gain confidence, improved self-esteem and sense of satisfaction
- enhance skills and gain experience to increase future employment opportunities.
We aim to offer a positive volunteering experience for volunteers and library staff and are therefore committed to allocating appropriate resources to recruit, train, support and recognise our volunteers. Involving volunteers does not replace the specialised roles of library staff who deliver our core services.
3 Current vacancies
Children's services volunteer
Support children’s activities in libraries, including rhyme times, storytimes, homework clubs and the Headspace teen area at Crawley.
Community library support volunteer
Help members of the public and assist in library routines in one of our smaller community libraries.
Help people learn the basics of using computers and the internet, either on a one-to-one basis or assisting group classes.
Digital Library Plus home visit volunteer
Help people at home with basic digital skills, whilst introducing them to online resources that may improve their day-to-day lives.
Duke of Edinburgh Award volunteer
Volunteer in a library as part of your Duke of Edinburgh’s Award to help customers and assist in a variety of library routines.
Home library direct volunteer
Visit people who can no longer reach the library in their own homes or care homes, choosing, delivering and returning library books and other items.
Learn My Way digital champion volunteer
Help people to use the Learn My Way website and develop their digital skills at a weekly session held in the library.
Melody for the Mind volunteer
Volunteer to help run a regular 'Melody for the Mind' group session at your local library, singing simple songs and rhymes, bringing people with dementia and their carers together in a safe, fun and friendly environment.
Help with events, surveys, book sales and select books for care homes to collect. It could also include promoting and supporting the Library Service at local community events.
Reading group volunteer
Run library-based reading groups or set up new reading groups in your area.
4 Contact us or apply
Use the form below to apply online for a library volunteering post.Apply online
Contact us using the details below if you have any queries about library volunteering.