Do you want to make a difference? Do you have the talent to inspire others? Come and join us and encourage the residents of West Sussex to think more widely about reducing, reusing and recycling waste!
As a waste prevention volunteer, you’ll engage with a diverse range of people, demonstrating genuine commitment to protecting the environment with regards to waste prevention.
This rewarding opportunity involves:
- Working with the Waste Prevention Team to deliver initiatives across the county
- Assisting at local events, fairs, festivals, promotions as well as analysing data (if computers are your thing!)
- Speaking to members of the public about waste prevention initiatives
- Taking on the challenge of becoming a Master Composter and sharing your skills and knowledge
- Educating school children by delivering the ‘Wastebuster’ programme and becoming a Recycling Champion to raise awareness of the benefits of recycling (a great addition to your CV!).
How to apply
Recruitment is currently open for two volunteer advisor roles. Details on the roles can be found in the role specifications below.
- Waste Prevention Advisor Volunteer (PDF, 121KB)
- Advanced Waste Prevention Advisor Volunteer (PDF, 123KB)
If you are interested, please complete an application form.Standard Waste Prevention advisor application form (external link) Advanced Waste Prevention advisor application form (external link)
If selected, you will be invited to an informal online chat to discuss the role and to find out more about you.
Commitment and training
All we ask is a willingness to spread the three R's; Reduce, Reuse, Recycle message and a commitment of volunteering two hours each month.
You will be required to attend an initial formal induction and ongoing training relevant to the role (roughly twice a year).
We will provide full training on our recycling and waste services, which is completely free and delivered in a flexible, easily accessible format via an online e-learning programme, site visits and ‘buddying up’ with current volunteers.
The amount of training you will be offered will differ depending on which role you apply for.
Testimonials from existing volunteers
"It has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience."
"Everyone is encouraged to bring their own particular interests and skills to the role."
"To me, the other volunteers are an extraordinary group of people…who have become close friends."