Getting involved could mean a couple of days a year, or a couple of days a week - it's up to you how much you do.
How to apply
We are currently not taking new volunteer applications. Please check back on this page regularly for updates.
We like to talk to prospective volunteers to help them get the most out of volunteering with us.
We cannot guarantee a volunteer space is available as numbers are limited, but please contact us if you are interested.
If you contact us by email include:
- a contact phone number
- the area of the county you reside in
- a brief description of the kind of volunteering you would like to do.
We have activities suitable for all abilities and ages, some examples of which are:
- cutting back overgrowth to restore rare wildflower-rich meadows
- creating sunny glades for butterflies by coppicing the wooded banks of an old railway line bridleway
- making our countryside sites easy to explore by keeping nature trails clear and accessible
- helping to expand an area of heathland and increase the local nightjar population
- building and installing a rustic bench to help weary walkers enjoy views of the countryside
- giving a helping hand to barn owls by building nest boxes to put up where they are needed most
- wading out into a local pond to pull out invasive, alien plants
- reconnecting nature by replanting riverside woodland.
Not all activities are physical. You can also:
- help at a countryside information centre
- help with ecological surveys, such as counting orchids, identifying butterflies, and recording birds to aid habitat maintenance
- support countryside events.
Volunteer with us to complement your college course
Practice and develop new skills in conjunction with your course or qualification, such as an HND or NVQ qualification at a local agricultural college.
You can develop your practical skills to complement the theory, and gain valuable work experience to help you in future employment in the process.
We are sometimes able to accommodate corporate groups on our sites, particularly at Buchan Country Park. Contact us to see if we can help.