West Sussex Local Access Forum (WSLAF) is an independent official body, which aims to improve and protect countryside access in West Sussex. It covers the whole county, with the exception of the South Downs National Park which has its own Local Access Forum.
What does WSLAF do?
- Advises on improving public access to land for informal public recreation.
- Encourages the enjoyment and understanding of the countryside.
- Considers the needs and concerns of land managers, tenants and owners.
- Promotes the enhancement and conservation of the natural environment.
- Works with the County Council to develop, protect and improve the rights of way network.
- Broadens access to the rights of way network for everyone.
You can find more information on the role of Local Access Forums on GOV.UK.
2 Become a member
If you feel passionately that public rights of way and access to the countryside should be protected and improved, and would really like to be involved in working to achieve this, you are the person we need.
If you are interested in becoming a member please contact us.
The Forum can have a maximum of 22 members representing a broad range of interests and views relating to the countryside.
Members of Local Access Forums include:
- countryside users
- landowners and managers
- access for the disabled
- other interests in countryside access.
There are four meetings a year; two formal meetings supported by West Sussex County Council, which are open to the public, and two informal meetings organised by Forum members. In addition, there may be site visits and working group meetings you can get involved with.
In order to give advice to a range of organisations, members are expected to engage in debate and seek consensus wherever possible, with the aim to protect and improve recreation access in the area covered by the Forum. This often takes place at meetings, but sometimes deadlines mean matters have to be considered outside of meetings, usually via email.
Those on the Forum give their time on a voluntary basis, however, transport costs are reimbursed.
Training in Rights of Way and countryside access matters is provided for new members.
3 Meeting dates
The Forum meets formally twice a year, usually on Wednesdays between 10.30am-1.00pm, alternating between Chichester and Horsham. In between these meetings, members may meet informally to progress the work of the Forum.
Formal meetings are open to the public, but if you would like to attend or speak at a meeting you will need to contact the Forum Officer beforehand.
Scheduled future formal meetings
- Wednesday 20 October 2021 at 10.30am - Online or Horsham
- Wednesday 27 April 2022 at 10.30am - Online or Chichester
4 Agendas and minutes
- Agenda - 28 April 2021 (PDF, 121KB)
- Unconfirmed minutes - 28 April 2021 (PDF, 171KB)
- Item 5 - WSCC Rights of Way Annual Report - 28 April 2021 (PDF, 118KB)
- Item 8 – General report - 28 April 2021 (PDF, 193KB)
- Agenda - 16 December 2020 (PDF, 124KB)
- Minutes - 16 December 2020 (PDF, 191KB)
- Item 6 - WSCC Rights of Way annual report 2019 (PDF, 152KB)
- Item 11 - General report - 16 December 2020 (PDF, 361KB)
April - Scheduled meeting cancelled due to COVID-19
- Agenda - 23 October 2019 (PDF, 395KB)
- Confirmed minutes - 23 October 2019 (PDF, 273KB)
- Item 11 - General report - 23 October 2019 (PDF, 195KB)
- Agenda - 24 April 2019 (PDF, 93KB)
- Confirmed minutes - 24 April 2019 (PDF, 173KB)
- Item 5 - WSCC Rights of Way Annual Report 2018 (PDF, 195KB)
- Item 10 - General report - 24 April 2019 (PDF, 176KB)
- Agenda - 31 October 2018 (PDF, 52KB)
- Confirmed minutes - 31 October 2018 (PDF, 183KB)
- Item 9 - General report - 31 October 2018 (PDF, 28KB)
- Agenda - 25 July 2018 (PDF, 96KB)
- Confirmed minutes - 25 July 2018 (PDF, 140KB)
- Item 6 - WSCC Rights of Way annual report 2017 (PDF, 89KB)
- Item 12 - General report - 25 July 2018 (PDF, 143KB)
5 Contact the Forum
6 Annual reports and advice
Consultations and advice
- Agriculture Act 2020 and Environment Land Management Scheme - Secretary of State for DEFRA (PDF, 116KB)
- Agriculture Act 2020 and Environment Land Management Scheme - Response to letter from Under Secretary of State for DEFRA (PDF, 121KB)
- Ford development: Masterplan - Arun District Council (PDF, 80KB)
- Draft site allocations DPD - Mid-Sussex District Council (PDF, 72KB)
- Friars Oak, Hassocks, DM/19/1893, footpath 9c diversion - Mid-Sussex District Council (PDF, 72KB)
- A27 Arundel bypass - National Highways (PDF, 140KB)
- Design guide for new housing development - High Weald AONB (PDF, 266KB)
- 2026 cut-off date (CRoW Act) - Secretary of State for Rural Affairs (PDF, 83KB)
- A2300 improvements scheme - WSCC (PDF, 180KB)
- Friars Oak, Hassocks planning application DM/19/1897 - Mid-Sussex District Council (PDF, 99KB)
- A29 Realignment Scheme - WSCC (PDF, 186KB)
- Chichester Local Plan Review: preferred approach - Chichester District Council - response has been submitted via online form
- Southwater Neighbourhood Plan - Southwater Parish Council - response has been submitted via online form
- A2300 improvements - WSCC (PDF, 409KB)
- Chichester Harbour Management Plan 2019-2024 - Chichester Harbour Conservancy - response has been submitted via online form
- Mid-Sussex Open Space and Play Study - Mid-Sussex District Council - response has been submitted via online form
- 2018 Strategic Transport Investment Programme (STIP) scheme suggestions - WSCC (PDF, 132KB)
- Amended plans: AWDM/0961/17, West of New Monks Farm - Adur and Worthing District Councils (PDF, 183KB)
- Response to revised planning application, West of New Monks Farm (PDF, 231KB)
- Health and Harmony (Farming post Brexit) - Defra (PDF, 232KB)
- A27 Crossings - WSP (PDF, 244KB)
- Horsham Local Plan Review - issues and options: employment, tourism and sustainable rural development – Horsham District Council (PDF, 244KB)
- National Planning Policy Framework – Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (PDF, 185KB)
- Rosier Wood Management Plan (PDF, 121KB)
- Heath Common Design Statement – Horsham District Council (PDF, 122KB)
- Main Modifications to the Arun Local Plan (2011-2031) – Arun District Council (PDF, 248KB)
- Planning application: AWDM/0961/17, West of New Monks Farm - Adur District Council (PDF, 210KB)
- Arun Local Plan (2011-2031) Modifications - Arun District Council (PDF, 248KB)