Last updated:
14 September 2017

Share this

Add a structure to a public right of way

How to apply to introduce a new structure, such as a gate or stile, on a public right of way.

If you wish to introduce a new structure on a public right of way, permission must be sought from the highways authority. Applications for new stiles will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.

Applications can only be made under the following legislation:

  • Section 147 of the Highways Act 1980 - in order to secure that the use of the land for agriculture can be efficiently carried on by preventing the access of animals
  • Section 66 of the Highways Act 1980 - for the purpose of safeguarding persons using the highway
  • Section 115B and 115E of the Highways Act 1980 – to apply for permission to place structures or objects on a restricted byway.

Complete the online application form to apply for permission from the highways authority:

Application for consent to erect a structure on a PROW

Additional information about adding structures can be found on Landowners' and managers' rights and responsibilities


Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know how we're doing. We're constantly trying to improve this website. Your feedback is very important to us. You can simply add a star rating to indicate how useful you found this page. If you have more specific feedback use the form below.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.