Ordinary watercourse land drainage consent

Apply for ordinary watercourse land drainage consent.

1 Overview

Ordinary watercourses include streams, drains, ditches and passages through which water flows that do not form the network of main rivers.

Any works to change the flow, erect a culvert or bridge create any obstruction in any ordinary watercourse will require consent. 

Even if you have planning permission or other consents you may still require consent for works to ordinary watercourses.

For works on or near a main river or flood defence you will need consent from the Environment Agency.

2 Apply

Read the guidance notes and complete the application form.

Applications cost £150 each and should be sent to the relevant district or borough council.

There are no provisions in the legislation that allows for retrospective consents. If work has been carried out on an ordinary watercourse without prior consent, the relevant district or borough can ask you to obtain consent, or restore the watercourse to its original condition, if appropriate.

Last updated:
24 October 2022
Share this
Share this

Do you have any feedback about this page?

Help us improve this website

Let us know if this page was helpful so we can make improvements. Add a star rating and leave your feedback below to show how useful you found this page.

Rate this page:
Clear star rating...
  • West Sussex County Council will only use this email address to respond to any issues raised.