1 What we do
We are an integral part of the Community Safety & Wellbeing Team within West Sussex County Council. We raise online safety awareness amongst our communities and professionals across West Sussex.
We run many events, offering different packages, giving top tips and advice to help you stay safe when you’re online.
- Amazon scam leaflet (PDF, 551KB)
- Digital footprint leaflet (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Fitness apps leaflet (PDF, 1.5B)
- Fleeceware leaflet (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Get safe online in West Sussex (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Guide to keeping your child safe online (PDF, 2.5MB)
- Investment fraud leaflet (PDF, 576KB)
- Safe and secure video calls leaflet (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Tax phishing scams leaflet (PDF, 689KB)
2 Online safety advice
Many people have concerns about using the internet, however, there are practical steps you can take to use it safely.
Below are resources which offer advice on how to remain safe while using the internet:
- Creating a strong password
- Software and app updates
- Software attacks and internet security software
- Keeping your mobile device safe and secure
- Advice on apps and how to use them safely
- Scam emails and email security
- Keeping safe while browsing the internet
- Backing up your device to prevent loss of data
Almost all of us are likely to be spending more time online at the moment, including children.
The Government has produced some guidance for parent and carers to keep children safe online. This outlines resources to help keep children safe from different risks online and where to go to receive support and advice.
3 Training events
Safe against scams
Join us to find useful information and resources to help keep your family, friends and yourself safe from scams.
More than ever before, we have been relying on technology to enable us to work, learn and connect with each other. Inevitably, criminals have exploited and used our increased digital lives to their advantage.
The pandemic has seen a rise in scams, including telephone, courier and romance fraud, which have all become an increased concern in West Sussex. Not only is there the financial impact on victims, but the emotional impact can be even more significant.
To help raise awareness of these different types of scams, how to spot them and what to do if you or your family become a victim, the West Sussex Community Safety and Wellbeing Team, alongside Trading Standards, are running free monthly scams awareness webinars.
The 'Safe Against Scams' webinars are on the following dates:
- Thursday 20 May - 10.00am
- Thursday 20 May - 6.00pm
- Tuesday 15 June - 10.00am
- Tuesday 15 June - 6.00pm
- Tuesday 27 July - 10.00am
- Tuesday27 July - 6.00pm
4 Report online crime
If you or your business become a victim of cybercrime you can report it to Action Fraud.
If you suspect that a child or young person has been, or is being, groomed or exploited this must be shared with one of the agencies below: