1 What we do
We are an integral part of the Community Safety & Wellbeing Team within West Sussex County Council. We raise online safety awareness amongst our communities and professionals across West Sussex.
We run many events, offering different packages, giving top tips and advice to help you stay safe when you’re online.
2 Online safety advice
Many people have concerns about using the internet, however, there are practical steps you can take to use it safely.
Below are resources which offer advice on how to remain safe while using the internet:
- Creating a strong password
- Software and app updates
- Software attacks and internet security software
- Keeping your mobile device safe and secure
- Advice on apps and how to use them safely
- Scam emails and email security
- Keeping safe while browsing the internet
- Backing up your device to prevent loss of data
Almost all of us are likely to be spending more time online at the moment, including children.
The Government has produced some guidance for parent and carers to keep children safe online. This outlines resources to help keep children safe from different risks online and where to go to receive support and advice.
3 Events and training
Staying Safe Online Children’s Digital World - The good, The bad and the in-between.
Are you concerned about your child’s online safety and their online habits? Would you like to know more about how to keep them safer online? Our partners Get Safe Online are offering a free webinar aimed at parents and carers giving invaluable tips and advice on online safety.
- Thursday 14 January 2021, 10.00am-11.30am - Book this event.
- Thursday 14 January 2021, 1.00pm-2.30pm - Book this event.
- Thursday 14 January 2021, 6.00pm-7.30pm - Book this event.
Digital dangers and keeping yourself safe online
Whether you are new to using internet enabled devices or you already do and feel pretty tech savvy, this webinar is for you! Join to learn more about how to stay safe online, the risks, benefits, and top practical tips you can implement to be more secure.
- Thursday 10 December 2020, 10.00am-11.15am - Book this event.
- Wednesday 13 January 2021, 1.00pm-2.15pm - Book this event.
- Friday 29 January 2021, 11.00am-12.15pm - Book this event.
Working together to keep your business safe online
This webinar will provide good security habits to businesses and employees to protect your infrastructure from the inside.
The webinar aims to increase awareness of the techniques used by criminals and the means which individuals can use to protect themselves both at home and at work.
- Friday 15 January 2021, 9.00am-10.30am (includes Q&A) - Book this event.
Book an awareness event by emailing email@example.com.
4 Report online crime
If you or your business become a victim of cybercrime you can report it to Action Fraud.
If you suspect that a child or young person has been, or is being, groomed or exploited this must be shared with one of the agencies below:
- Police: 101 or in an emergency 999
- West Sussex Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH): 01403 229900
- NSPCC Online Safety helpline: 08088 005002